An appeals court gave new life Tuesday to a lawsuit of a man who claims a Native American image on Oklahoma's license plates violates his religious rights as a Christian by portraying Indian religion.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 3-0 that a judge in Oklahoma City erred last year by throwing out the lawsuit of Keith Cressman, an Oklahoma City-area resident.

Cressman, who says he "adheres to historic Christian beliefs," objects to the image of a Native American shooting an arrow toward the sky. He claims the image unconstitutionally contradicts his Christian beliefs by depicting Indian religious beliefs, and that he shouldn't have to display the image.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Appeals_court_rules_Oklahoma...

*sigh*

Just another example of how intolerant some Christians can be.  The image is not even meant to be a religious symbol.  It's a representation of a Southwestern art piece.

Views: 1520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not of Native Americans, but anything that maybe seen as different than his Christian beliefs.

OK has the largest Native American population in the United States, so the chances of this art work being recognized as depicting a part of Native American spirituality is greater than any other state and by it being on a state license plate he see's it as the government validating that spirituality. 

When in fact it is a work by Allan Houser was one of the most renowned Native American painters and Modernist sculptors of the 20th century. He was born and raised in OK and was Native American.

This man grew up in the height of the genocide of the Native American culture and still became a well respected artist that many young Native American's look at with pride.

OK putting one of his works on their license plate is validation of the spirit of the Native American people, not what some of them have as their spirituality and this Cressman fellow hasn't a clue about cultural pride of the Native American.

You would think after 300 years they would figure some of this out.

Yeah it is, Texas suppresses it. Only less than 1% here are Native and only about three main tribes. Kickapoo is one of them. OK is less prone to suppressing Natives but you still get bouts of generalized stupidity among the politics.

This is the plate I had on my Truck.  This is the most common plate I had seen when I lived there.  Why doesn't this plate offend him?

Flag:

I think he doesn't object to the flag because of the crosses on the spirit drum. To the Native American's it means the four directions, to the Christian it is their symbol of their Christ. 

Hmmm, yeah good point.  Maybe he does.

Check out this article, this Keith Cressman is a pastor and why did he wait until 2011 to bring his suit, when the plate was released in 2008?
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/14/appeals-court-christian-can-s...

From what I've been reading, it wasn't made mandatory as a state plate until then it hadn't been implemented until 2009 as the official plate. It depends on how many years you pre-paid for registration/plates.   It also carries an additional cost if he wanted a vanity plate.  By 2011, if he had a 2 year registration (most people opt for annual), the time line makes sense.  

DEPORT! This douche doesn't understand the first amendment. Its really not surprising though. Christianity gave us a priest that thought burning Qurans was a good idea.

too funny

Because that would give merit to his claim. One could also argue that allowing him to cover it up is unconstitutional because it allows him special treatment because of his religion. The gov' has to be very careful about anything resembling the making of a law or policy or rule regarding religion.

Yeah...it's all fucked up. Just think how far reaching this case could be. Everybody and his brother could find something religiously objectionable about license plates. Those depicting animal or nature scenes could be related to paganism. On no! Let me get my can of spray paint and take care of that! I can see it happening.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service