An appeals court gave new life Tuesday to a lawsuit of a man who claims a Native American image on Oklahoma's license plates violates his religious rights as a Christian by portraying Indian religion.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 3-0 that a judge in Oklahoma City erred last year by throwing out the lawsuit of Keith Cressman, an Oklahoma City-area resident.

Cressman, who says he "adheres to historic Christian beliefs," objects to the image of a Native American shooting an arrow toward the sky. He claims the image unconstitutionally contradicts his Christian beliefs by depicting Indian religious beliefs, and that he shouldn't have to display the image.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Appeals_court_rules_Oklahoma...

*sigh*

Just another example of how intolerant some Christians can be.  The image is not even meant to be a religious symbol.  It's a representation of a Southwestern art piece.

Views: 1520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People take offense easily but that doesn't make them right.. I believe this guy is just trying to make a point about something, but who knows what it is.. it could be that he is not religious at all.. just wants his 15 minutes of fame with the media watching...

I really think we should be very concerned about the far-reaching effects this FIFO can cause. The courts do need to be very careful about a decision on this issue. If they decide in favor of the FIFO then many many other faiths could, and should be yelling about the go ernment making a law regarding religion and showing faith-based favoritism.

I suspect that as someone said Oklahoma has several varieties of license plates available at no charge. Most states call them "scenic plates". WV's has birds on it I think. Personally I prefer the plain variety but take no offense at the others. It's a bit troubling as to how ugly this could get.

Cressman, who says he "adheres to historic Christian beliefs," objects to the image of a Native American shooting an arrow toward the sky. He claims the image unconstitutionally contradicts his Christian beliefs by depicting Indian religious beliefs, and that he shouldn't have to display the image.

This was the portion I was focusing on.  

The appellate judges stated Oklahoma law imposes sanctions for covering up the image and the state charges more for speciality plates without it.

This portion:

"Mr. Cressman's (lawsuit) states a plausible compelled speech claim," the appellate judges wrote Tuesday in a 39-page decision, reversing Judge Joe Heaton's dismissal of the lawsuit. "He has alleged sufficient facts to suggest that the 'Sacred Rain Arrow' image on the standard Oklahoma license plate conveys a particularized message that others are likely to understand and to which he objects." 

Cressman's attorney, Nathan Kellum, said the decision may boost his client's chances when the case goes back to Heaton for further proceedings.

So its not as if he's just focused on the additional cost (which is also bullshit) but being forced to adorn an image, and being penalized for covering it.

The image wasn't even part of the plate series until 2009. 

So the plate enforcement does have merit for a legal case of Constitutionality.  The original dismissal was total shite, this guy has a case but if it doesn't serve the State's interests, he'll have to keep fighting it and not relent for a Win.

Source

Yeah I don't pick up on the Xenophobia, that I inquired about earlier in the thread.  I was looking for his particular motivations, and he seems to be bent on being forced to adorn a plate that doesn't coincide with what he believes, to him it seems to represent an opposing ideology.  OK includes a lot of Conservatives, and that goes without saying about the views about Constitutionality and the Rights of private citizens.  He's challenging the State Mandate and the cost at the same time.  Perhaps he's just using his Religious views as leverage against the mandate.

It's the new Pink!

The Bluebird plates here in MO, cost ya extra. Standard plates here are plain.

That is one of the stupidest court cases I have ever heard about.  What a waste of money.

Ridiculous!

If he wants to get down to it as a matter of history, Oklahoma was historically a native American territory before white Christians ever set foot on the ground.

I myself am trying to come up with a unique license plate...and thought of my pagan beliefs.  Not sure if they'd let me use what I want but hey, I can try and they can only say no right?

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service