http://time.com/4466021/uchicago-trigger-warnings/?xid=time_socialf...

I know it's a couple of days old but I think it's worth discussing. In the news the Dean of The University of Chicago sent out a letter talking about how they do not support so called "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces."  Personally I am fine with clubs and LGBT centers and all that but I very much dislike the idea of classrooms being scrubbed clean of knowledge and political opinions that may be upsetting and/or challenging. School is supposed to challenge you.  I admit to not being entirely knowledgeable as to how much this "tumblr speak" has infiltrated colleges so I am willing to discuss that too. What does everyone think?

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While I'm all for 'safe spaces' when they apply to areas free from harassment, if the actions of the student body warrant it, I despise 'trigger warnings'.

Trigger warnings have all but shut down all discussion on boards, public places and casual conversation because the people who can be 'triggered' refuse to excuse themselves from the discussions.  Like passive-aggressive emotional manipulators, they assume the conversation has to be to their liking for it to proceed and if it doesn't they get really really mad and upset and file complaints and in one case with a friend of mine, let us know she was going to cry if we proceeded.

If they keep using the trigger warning phrase as a weapon the it will become triggering to say it. Ah the irony.

yells: TRIGGER WARNING!!!! run run for your life!!

Well I'm triggered by your trigger. Where is Judge Judy when you need her?

I did read that a lot of comedians will not do college tours anymore. Chris Rock is one of them: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/chris-rock-colleges-conser...

Good for the Dean. Free speech is necessary for people to be able to have discussions and share ideas.

How is it possible to have a debate club is such an environment?

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service