According to the dictionary, Superstition is an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear. There are superstitions for almost all aspects of our daily lives and most have unknown origins. Sometimes they are logical (for example, don’t walk under a ladder) but most of the time they are ridiculous. Some people can become controlled by their superstitions (such as the fear of walking on cracks) which is very unhealthy. Here is a list of 20 weird superstitions.

1. A bird in the house is a sign of a death

2. A loaf of bread should never be turned upside down after a slice has been cut from it.

3. Never take a broom along when you move. Throw it out and buy a new one.

4. If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.

5. If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good fortune, but if it walks away, it takes the good luck with it.

6. An acorn at the window will keep lightning out

7. A dog howling at night when someone in the house is sick is a bad omen.

8. It’s bad luck to leave a house through a different door than the one used to come into it.

9. A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away.

10. If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn you will not catch a cold all winter.

11. If a mirror in the house falls and breaks by itself, someone in the house will die soon.

12. Dropping an umbrella on the floor means that there will be a murder in the house.

13. All windows should be opened at the moment of death so that the soul can leave.

14. If the groom drops the wedding band during the ceremony, the marriage is doomed.

15. To dream of a lizard is a sign that you have a secret enemy.

16. If a friend gives you a knife, you should give him a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken.

17. You should never start a trip on Friday or you will meet misfortune.

18. Dream of running: a sign of a big change in your life.

19. If a clock which has not been working suddenly chimes, there will be a death in the family.

20. It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I kiss my palm and touch the roof of my car as I am going through a yellow light.
wow, a lot of death superstitions...

I do the saltover my left shoulder
I heard dropping a fork brings a handsome man to the door
and one my sister and i used to do is holding your breath passing a cemetary. (to keep the restless spirits out)

plus there are those that most of us do without realizing it...saying "god bless you" when someone sneezes because the heart stops and demons could posess them.
if only one magpie spit and saulet it to stop bad luck
bad luck to walk under a ladder
drop a knife and you will have a quarrel
red sky at night sherherds delight red sky in morning sheherds warning (first means good weather the secound bad weather)
its good luck to have a black cat cross your path
for good luck in the new year you open the front door to let in the new year and open the back door to let the old year out
The 'crowning glory' is one of the most indestructible parts of the body. As such, a sudden loss of hair is unlucky, forecasting a decline in health, loss of property or failure in business, or the death of a closely related child. Red hair is associated with fiery-tempered people (e.g. Cleopatra and Queen Elizabeth I); black and dark brown hair indicate strength; fair hair implies timidity. On a man, if the hair grows low on the forehead and back above the temples he will have a long life; if a woman's hair grows in a low point on her forehead ('widow's peak') she will outlive her husband. If a woman suddenly develops curls on her forehead her man has not long to live.

Lank hair = a cunning nature; Curly hair = good natured, full of fun; Long hair = strength (e.g. Samson) and luck.

It is said to be unlucky to have your hair cut when the moon is in the wane as this will cause it to fall out and lose its lustre. Cutting your own hair will tempt fate. To determine your future: set fire to some strands of your hair - cut them off first!. If they burn brightly, you are in for a long life. If they splutter and smoulder, it is said to be a death omen. Never pull out grey hairs, for one will be replaced by ten. It has often been believed that a sudden fright can turn hair white.

Eyes Are the 'windows to the soul' and the colour leads to differing beliefs.

Dark blue eyes = delicate and refined souls; Light blue or grey eyes = strong and healthy ones; Green eyes = hardy souls; Hazel eyes = vigorous, deep-thinking folk.
Itching eyes: if the right eye tickles, it's lucky, and vice versa. Theocritus has it, 'My right eye itches now and I shall see my love.'

'Trust not the man whose eyebrows meet,
For in his heart you'll find deceit.'
Moles
Left hand side of the body = unlucky; those on the right = lucky'; on the face (especially chin or neck) = wealth; on the chest and stomach = strength; a mole on the nose = great lechery; a mole on a woman's thigh = unfaithful, and a great spendthrift; a girl with a mole on her breast will be irresistible. A hairy chest = masculinity.
'Dimple on the chin - Devil within'

SNEEZING

Or 'a little death' (in places where it is believed the soul momentarily leaves the body with the sneeze). We still use the expression 'Bless you' (short for 'God Bless You'). This stems from the times when a sneeze could mean the plague, viz. 'Coughs and sneezes spread diseases'.

Sneeze 'once for a wish, twice for a kiss, three for a letter, four for something better'. In Scotland, a newborn child is said to remain under 'the fairy spells' until it has sneezed for the first time. It was also believed that an idiot could not sneeze, so that a child's first sneeze was important. If you sneeze when talking you are telling the truth (America); three sneezes before breakfast means you will receive a present during the day (Germany); any sneeze is an indication that someone, somewhere, is saying nice things about you (Japan). It is very lucky to sneeze at exactly the same time as someone else you are with.

COUGHING meant the unexpected entry of a devil into a person who had been telling lies or carrying out misdemeanours of some kind.

HICCUPS are caused by someone who dislikes you complaining to someone else. The only way to stop them is to guess the name of the person maligning you.

YAWNING

Can lead to evil spirits entering the body unless you cover your mouth with your hand; it is a sign that Death is calling to you, and you must snap your second finger and thumb (American Indian).

A SHIVER means that someone is walking over your (eventual) grave.

LAUGH before breakfast and it will end in tears before supper; to laugh excessively shows that the person is possessed and that his days are numbered.
Knocking on wood is my most I use. Find a penny heads up brings good luck.
Folding knives...

If someone offers you the use of their knife, you should always return it in the same position it was in when they handed it to you because if one freind opens the knife and the other closes it, the freindship will be broken... you can reverse this by reversing the position of the knife (If your freind hands you an open knife and you close it before giving it back, he should give it back to you closed so you can open it again and return it properly.)
-Scarlet
Well, except for a few that I don't know of and it's the first time I've read them, all the other ones have an explanation.

I think it's funny though that you mention supersitions existing out of ignorance or fear when most of them are actually in place because it has been observed, from ancient times, that every time something would happen that way, then the effect of it would always be the same. And also mentioning this as such on a pagan community discussion forum might make me scratch my head and go "hmmmm?"

As I'm not sure if I've expressed myself well in the above paragraphs, here's an example: A dog howling when someone is sick means a death is coming: actually, it might even not be necessary for someone to be sick (or manifest any external signs of illness at all). Dogs are known for being able to sense when there is something wrong - there are countless examples of people saved by their dogs' presence of spirit/actions/reactions to a significant turn in their medical condition. The dogs feel when there is something wrong, and they have a type of howling (not all dog howls are the same) that signifies death.
all supersitions have an explanation if you look hard enough
like not putting shoes on the table (dirty) not opening umbrullas in the house (not much room)
anaimals howling etc yes they do sence things(sorry about spelling )
it would be nice to learn the reason behind some of them but some are plain daft ie dont step on the cracks in a pavement (i do wonder at the reason for this one)
this is just a bit of fun Seachain Aroon
sorry if this offends you
No, it doesn't offend me in any way. But there's fun and there's fun, and making fun of what one doesn't understand... doesn't really put them in the best of lights you know. *s*
My mother used to say that if a bird builds a nest somewhere on your house, then it means good luck. She said the same thing about spiders in the house. To this day, I have a hard time killing one.
Break a mirror & have 7 years bad luck.
If your nose is itching, you will kiss a fool (now that explains it all!! haha)
Spiders in the house are good luck.
I am sure there are many others that I do out of habit and just can't think of them right now! But I agree that they are usually rooted in some truth or experience somehow.

Some that have really happened to me:

If your right hand itches, you have some money coming your way.
---one day quite a few years ago I had an intense itching that I could not relieve...later that day I got some money from an old life insurance policy my dad had for me since I was little, and I knew nothing about it beforehand.

A sudden fright/scare will turn your hair white
---I now have a stripe of white hair that doesn't hold color at all on my right temple

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service