Various Reconstructions of Pre- Abrahamic Middle Eastern Beliefs

Sumerian- Temple of Sumer,

Canaanite- Natib Qadish, more Natib Qadish, AMHA, Tel Shemesh, Ugaritic Temple, Qadash Kinahnu,  Canaanite Paganism, 

Babylonian- 

Arabic- Wathan,

Turkey- Hurrian & Hittite,   

Do you know of any others that may be added to the list? Egypt is technically in Africa, but, does it belong on this list?

Okay, here's Egypt- Kemetic Orthodoxy,

I recommend reading Xoc's great discussion here.

Views: 1116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Culturally, Egypt does. Reformed Kemeticism.

This is very interesting.  When I look at things Sumerian, I think of Sitchin and Robert Morningsky and the ancient aliens.

In Robert morningsky's "The Terra papers" he says that the Anunnaki created us to work for them and another race of beings he calls the Sheti who can not live in the rays of the sun and so, have to live underground in the daytime.  So these Sheti live in the underworld.  In the Odyssey of Homer, Oddeseus takes a bag of blood into the underworld for the ghosts or demons there.  Which corresponds to this; http://templeofsumer.org/share4c.html  The Sheti were created to be the technicians and administrators to run things for them.  According to Morningsky the Sheti rebelled and drove all the Gods from earth.  Then they set up rule here and the "One God" principle is the vehicle of control they use on us to this day.  They then set about creating religions to be at odds with other religions to keep us fighting amongst ourselves so we can't devote our energies towards them.  

Well, you are supposed to think Sitchin is wrong.  The powers that be love you for that.  I suggest you look at Robert Morningsky and the Terra papers.  They dove tail right int here with Sitchin but, he wrote it in 1970 as an essay at a jesuit school for Indians.  He was expelled for it.  

What struck me about the Terra papers is; Morningsky claims that all lower life forms eventually evolve into the human form.  He claims that the Anunnaki evolved from a wolf like creature.  In an earlier book called "the Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris, he claims that he expected human behavior to be more like that of other primates and was shocked that his data indicated that we behave more like wolves.  

According to Morningsky, the Anunnaki went to war amongst themselves over Enki and his sister Nin-Hur-Sag adding their own DNA to new batches of humans they were cooking up.

So, you believe Sitchin is right?

Good question.

Mesopotamia and Egypt were two seperate cultures. They had some interesting contrasts in terms of their cosmogonic views, and understanding of the unverse. 

Sitchin is nothing more than a fictional writer, who used some elements of ancient history and theology to support his ideas.

So no, I don't like to see the ancient theological perspective of that region of the world to be presented in that kind of light, even though on the surface, it can be stimulating and entertaining. There is plenty of bona fide academic perspective to support the truth and reality of what was written in stone.

The only other way to gather appropriate insight into this topic, is to become a practitioner, and not a neo Darwinian conspiracy theorist.

Yes, I've heard the conspiracy theories as well.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but at least on the Mesopotamian side of things I don't believe it should be reconstructed for a few reasons. Egypt is considered the mid east.

Please elaborate on the reasons you are against the reconstruction of Mesopotamian belief systems.

-Because it's wildly outdated.

-Most of it is almost impossible to apply now. Some of it is not even applicable to the modern world.

-The religion and people died out far before Christianity and some of the gods even moved on to Greece. I think there are a few good reasons for that.

-There are a lot of loose ends.

There was a scholar who came to the same conclusion I did, but I can't recall his name atm. If anything should be done concerning Mesopotamian religion it should be in a modern belief system.

The person who runs the templeofsumer.org I used to know is kind of an arrogant jerk. His site is filled with opinions too, or used to be. (He is very biased.) Some of which are sexist and he likes to believe he is right. See this on his ideas of atheism/faith: http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http://www.templeofsumer.org/thought...

When he argued he loved to push his hard polytheistic view. He also has a cliquish yahoo group who is condescending towards other pagans, especially the non-recon type. Though I admit fault being so young, brash, and stupid, that didn't stop them from being passive-aggressive towards me and whatnot. He wrote some article about a festival to Inanna and I can't find it because he deleted it soon thereafter since it contain his sexist opinions that sounded like they were from the 19th century.

-Because it's wildly outdated.

-Most of it is almost impossible to apply now. Some of it is not even applicable to the modern world.

-The religion and people died out far before Christianity and some of the gods even moved on to Greece. I think there are a few good reasons for that.

-There are a lot of loose ends

Most of these arguments could be used against any recon movement.

I don't personally know any of these people, perhaps, that is why I'm less biased.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service