So during my practice and reading about various mythologies and cultures, I've come across a complete lack of transgender representation. The closest I have ever seen that fits the bill would be Hermaphroditus. I find the lack of it pretty disheartening; my partner is a transwoman, in mythology in general, the concept of being transgender is ignored or even demonized. i feel like that might contribute to some hesitations she has about becoming part of the pagan community. I would like to find a positive representation for her, if there is one. So, good people of Pagan Space, have you come across any transgender deities in your readings? 

Views: 405

Replies to This Discussion

Good question! I would like to know that too. B.

There are various gods who are considered genderless. For example, even though Aphrodite in the greek pantheon is portrayed as a female, she considers herself to be genderless. I know someone who uses Aphrodite as their patron deity. There are several gods who are this way and I think that would aid in your partners search.

If a god or goddess is over sexuality would they qualify.

Some native american tribes have what is known as "two-spirits" where the person embraces and embodies both genders.  

I know that this is an old post, but I feel that the other people who replied to you didn't really answer your question. I have an answer, although I am not sure that you will be completely comfortable with it. The myth is rather disturbing; it is, in fact, a favorite of psychoanalysts. It is the story of Attis and Cybele. Attis was the priest of the Great Goddess Cybele. Because of his dedication to Her he was supposed to be celibate, but he met a woman and they decided to marry. Cybele appeared at the marriage ceremony, and of course She was furious. Attis was maddened, undoubtedly by guilt and fear. He went alone to a dark forest, and sitting beneath the pine trees used a sharp stone to castrate himself. He bled to death. After his death we see him in Cybele's chariot standing beside Her as the chariot flies through the air, drawn by sacred lions. He has become immortal, and is now a god. Although Attis was not explicitly thought to have become a woman, the Roman images show that he is extremely feminine. The priests of Attis emulated their god, and in a ritual with frenzied dancing castrated themselves with sharp stones. They then grew their hair long and wore women's clothing. The cult was extremely popular in Rome and was a serious competitor to Christianity. Several emperors tried to limit the cult because of its excesses, but they finally accepted it, and a temple to Cybele was built where St. Peter's Basilica now stands in Vatican City. The cult actually originated in Phrygia (Turkey) thousands of years prior to this. How do you like it? Myths aren't always pretty. I read about it in James George Frazer's "Golden Bough". There are many books about myth and transgenderism. http://bluemoonwicca.org/transhaman.html

Hi I've had this problem regarding myself so I'll try to help as much as I can. In my case I was born a boy but I've always known I should be a girl.

The first God I learned about was Dionysus. Dionysus along with satyrs actually have mythology that supports sexuality. The God Pan and satyrs in general symbolize male sexuality.

The second was an egyptian goddess named Neith. She goes by a few names. Something I read about Neith is that she is believed to be a mother goddess who is able to fulfill both male and female roles in birth and creation. She had no need for a man in order to give birth.

I also did some research toward Lilith which led me down a very interesting path. In ancient Mesopotamia there was a night demon named Lilu which has very similar characteristics to a succubus. In some writings Lilith is said to be a succubus. She is also said to be the first woman which was why I wanted to know more in the first place. My research on Lilu led me to learning about another Mesopotamian goddess named Ishtar who is depicted as a Great Mother Goddess of creation among many other things. She is also known by the name Astarte which is the name I am comfortable with calling her. Ishtar/Astarte is both a goddess of love and war, also she is both a sun and moon goddess as well as having power over life and death. She is a fertility goddess as well. One of her symbolic animals is actually a spider. Spiders in dreams can be interpreted as being symbolic of feminine energy.

Also I have looked into a few spirit animal meanings, such as spiders and snakes. In my case I have an extreme fear of being feminine publicly so I have had quite a few dreams about spiders. This is why I decided to learn about them.

The best advice I can give is that you explore everything you can. Gods and Goddesses are a good place to start but I would learn about anything from symbolic meanings to mythology. Also dream interpretation can be very useful. In your partners case I would suggest starting with the goddess Venus or Aphrodite and going from there. Venus is a symbol of the feminine aspects of divinity. In fact after learning about Ishtar I found out that there's a symbol called the Star of Ishtar which is a symbol for Venus and femininity.

I wish you and your partner the best of luck. I know how hard it is to find Gods and Goddesses with any connection to this type of thing. 

Dionysus

Pan (God)

Satyr

Neith

Lilu

Ishtar

Astarte

Spider Spirit Animal

Venus Symbol Meaning

I would recommend looking at African or Oceanian deities like Mawu-Lisa or Bathala. They tend to have more transgender or androgynous qualities. Some spirit gods in Voodoo cultures are described as gender-queer as well.

Here is a Wikipedia page to get you started. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_themes_in_mythology

Just to be clear, Aphrodite is female. Saying otherwise is not supported by Hellenic text and is not even PCPG that I am aware of. As for Deities that actually are not cis...look to Inari. Inari is viewed sometimes as an old man, other time a beautiful young woman.

Sources:

There's actually a decent amount of trans representation in Hindu mythology! One example is Ardhanarishwara, the non-binary avatar of the god Shiva fused with his wife goddess Parvati/Shakti.

Here's a handy link for further reading: [link]

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service