Okay, so my thoughts are turning toward purchasing my first bodhran, and I've been doing a little reading on it. A couple of sites say that it might be better to start out on a bodhran with a synthetic head instead of a skin head, because they tend to be able to take the wear and tear of constant practice and mistakes while practicing.

Since the only drums I've ever played in the past are my son's drum set (terribly, lol), and a little toy drum I had as a kid, I thought I'd ask the opinion of those of you who have played drums with skin heads.

Do you think it would make a difference what I started out on? Could I develop any habits of hitting a synthetic head too hard that might be detrimental when I switch over to skin? Is there any difference in the way you create tones on a bodhran with a skin head and one with a synthetic head?

Views: 254

Replies to This Discussion

It won't make a difference in regards to playing habbits.... It's my honest opinion though that synthetic heads are almost always better if you're going to get a frame drum... ideally one that has the littles lugson them for tuning.

~Weed

RSS

Latest Activity

Matt Raney is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
yesterday
Morning Star is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Saturday
Jamie Gunter liked Jamie Gunter's profile
Friday
Hal Spencer Briggs III is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Thursday
Dena Vogel updated their profile
Oct 4
Sojahu BaVitki posted a status
"are they going to charge for this one too?"
Oct 4
Albert Feyen posted a status
"I'n checking out paganspacev2"
Oct 4
Profile IconAlbert Feyen and daniel graves joined PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 4

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service