Yesterday, I watched an episode of the series "Ancient Aliens", shown on the History Channel.  WTF?  Who falls for this?  A bunch of people argued, on the basis of zero evidence, that aliens came to Earth in ancient times and built the pyramids, Stonehenge, what-have-you.  Also, that the gods of ancient mythologies are based on these alien visitors.  Underlying these theories is the assumption that people in ancient times were just too stupid to build their own pyramids or construct their own mythologies. The TV talking heads said that the "kachina" masks used to represent gods by Zuni and Hopi Indians "look like" space helmets, and so must be modeled on alien visitors who came to the Southwest thousands of years ago.  This, for example is a Hopi mask:

And this is a space helmet:

As you can see, the two objects look very much alike (sarcasm).  They resemble each other only to the degree that helmets and masks always look like helmets and masks.

As a Pagan, it upsets me to see people have so little respect for ancient cultures and religions.  Why assume that the Egyptians did not build the pyramids?  Or that the Hopi could not come up with mask designs on their own?

I am not saying that aliens visiting our planet in ancient times is impossible.  It is certainly possible.  But there is no evidence for it.  Petroglyphs that kinda, sorta, if-you-squint-your-eyes-right look like spaceships are not evidence.  

Views: 3750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea, not only discounting the ingenuity of the ancients, but also ignoring our current capabilities.

Also if you HAVE to move something, you will find a way. Resources and Time are really the only thing that can keep man down. (and death and taxes but that's a different discussion)

"You really think primitive stone age humans did these things?"

Yes. "Primitive" does not mean "stupid" or "incapable of great things". To think otherwise betrays profound cultural bias.

"And why not an advanced alien civilization millions of years older then earthlings?"

Because there is no evidence of them doing such things on earth. Everything in your post is speculation, which is not the same thing as evidence.

" Certainly you do not think we are alone in the universe or even the top of the food chain. "
Most certainly I do not! And, I said before, it is possible that such aliens have visited out planet in the past. But there is no evidence of it. There is an old saying in science that "large claims require large proof". Simply saying that our ancestors were "primitive" and that we do not know exactly how they built something does not prove either that humans did not build it or that aliens did.

To add to this the reason why some modern cultures today remain primitive is because of access to resources is harder to come by than an advanced tech society. Basically put, the less time you're spending hunting and in agriculture, the more time your society has time to invent math and science. This is why the ancient Greeks flourished. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

I find it interesting that accusations of being just like the Christians, or "feeling right at home" with Christians, are being made against those skeptical of unproven claims.  Seriously?      

I agree ancient peoples were likely responsible for the wonders they built.  I do believe in aliens, too.  Did they help?  I don't know.  I enjoy the mystery of debating their interaction with our planet in my head.

It would be a lovely story if it were true, but it's not. The entire "ancient aliens" theory is based on the assumption that ancient man was too stupid to build the monuments that they did.  Archaeological evidence shows that ancient man were in some ways smarter than we are now.

Like a Christian, you have to have faith to say something like that.  Because you have nothing else to base it on.  

Archaeological evidence shows that ancient man were in some ways smarter than we are now.

Like a Christian, you have to have faith to say something like that.  Because you have nothing else to base it on.  

We have quite a lot of evidence.  Remember the Dark Ages?  Before then, civilizations like Rome and the Egyptians and Minoans had running hot and cold water for consumption and toilets, sewers, surgery, medicine, schools, astronomy, they had developed advanced mathematics, had invented the battery, steam power and built enormous buildings with concrete that would set underwater.

Then the Dark Ages came.  We lost the recipe for making cement and didn't have running water systems or public sanitation again until the 19th century.

I know right? I have always wondered what the world would have been like if that technology hadn't been lost.

I know right? I have always wondered what the world would have been like if that technology hadn't been lost.

Some scientists theorize that if Thera hadn't blown up and the Minoans had been allowed to continue their civilization - they had plumbing and roads and sewers and probably aqueducts 1000 years before the Romans - that as human beings, we would have just started exploring the stars by the year 1 c.e.

That's how much we lost.

That's just mind blowing.

I am not Christian, and I do have faith...in science.  To deny archaeological evidence is like ignoring the elephant in the room.  You can pretend it's not there, but the smell lingers.

The Ancient Alien Theory exists to serve one singular purpose, to make it's founders money.  The "granite" blocks at Puma Punku that "could not be carved by the savages living there at the time" are actually sandstone, and the "savages" had sophisticated metallurgy skills including copper, bronze, silver, and gold.  The pyramids were actually quite simple to build and the Egypt had the largest PAID labor force in history to do it, as well as 3,000 years of free time on their hands.  The Mayan paintings depicting "spacemen" are actually symbolic pictures representing The Tree of Life and the underworld, not space and rockets.  The Inca artifacts that look like airplanes are actually gold castings of fish(specifically a Plecostamus).

Do some research into this, please.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service