I'm trying to understand how people on this forum have trouble distinguishing between the following:

Open-Minded: Receptive to arguments or ideas.

Tolerance: Sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own or the act of allowing something : toleration.

Acceptance: to qualify or state of being accepted or acceptable.

So, one is Open-Minded if they hear/read your opinion/argument/idea, they are not being Close-Minded if after hearing/reading your opinion/argument/idea they do not agree with you.

One is Tolerant if one doesn't take up arms against, or protest the equality of your beliefs. If someone thinks your religious notions are stupid, but doesn't take action to have your denomination listed as a cult and not a religion, if they do not take up arms against your coven/temple/church/etc., they are being tolerant.

I accept evolution as a fact, though my acceptance of it has no bearing on it's validity.

If the majority of people don't accept a fact, or the majority of people accept a fallacy, that has no bearing on what actually is.

Example: When the GOP gathered together for RNC(Republican National Convention), evolution was still true in Tampa and gays didn't cause hurricanes.

I will not participate in ego stroking or the feeding of fantasy, even if you call it being Open-Minded or Tolerant. Many on here have beliefs which contradict, yet say they are accepting of other beliefs. FALSE, you are being tolerant of them, to be accepting of their differing beliefs would be to forsake your own.

I will not be told that my skepticism is Close-Mindedness. Even when I know someone is wrong from the first sentence, for instance:

"Wicca comes from the ancient Druids."

I read their entire post. I am clearly being open-minded.

I do not advocate the death, incarceration, or unequal treatment of people who hold this clearly wrong belief. I am tolerant of all things but ignorance, which I rectify with a simple correction.

I accept that people are ignorant enough to believe such a fallacy, though I will always tell them when they are in the wrong.

How have you seen people misuse these terms?

Are their anythings you are intolerant of?

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, I've been here before!

There really is deja vu.

So, one is Open-Minded if they hear/read your opinion/argument/idea, they are not being Close-Minded if after hearing/reading your opinion/argument/idea they do not agree with you.

I would think that to be truly Open-Minded aside from hearing/reading someones opinion/argument/idea you would also need to consider the possibility of said opinion/argument/idea and not automatically discount it.  It doesn't mean you have to accept it, just that you are willing to take the time to consider it and weight any facts or evidence that support it before making your decision.  To simply hear/read it and then automatically discount it with no consideration is being Close-Minded.

"I would think that to be truly Open-Minded aside from hearing/reading someones opinion/argument/idea you would also need to consider the possibility of said opinion/argument/idea and not automatically discount it."

I approach all claims from all angles. Assuming they are correct and working towards disproving them as much as assuming they are incorrect and working towards proving them,

A conclusion is not reached until all avenues are exhausted.

" It doesn't mean you have to accept it, just that you are willing to take the time to consider it and weight any facts or evidence that support it before making your decision."

Preaching to the choir, god. Most on this site think Open-Minded and Tolerant= Acceptance.

Even when analyzing Alex Jones, I work from all angles(even the wholly impossible possibility of him being correct.)

"To simply hear/read it and then automatically discount it with no consideration is being Close-Minded."

Never done that. Sometimes I'll initially work off the assumption that someone is incorrect, but I still come at it from all sides. I'm very good at divorcing my opinion from logic:

Someone on here posts some BS like:

I know for a fact that I can manipulate weather.

First I work to disprove it(not really work, more like glance a bit).

I then try to prove it.

Then I'll try to combine it with other BS explanations.(weather machines, chem trails, etc.)

I'm not infallible, I have admitted to being wrong/defeated. Many on this site will not ever do that. They will hide behind phrases like:

"Well, that's MY belief."

"That's your opinion."

"My reality is different."

etc.

You seem to be pretty intelligent(not my level(whoisHA), but close,LOL), a rarity amongst the human race.

Do you actually have a sense of humour tucked away in there is all I wonder? Anywhere?

The OP has a sublime sense of humor.

In my opinion he's been laughing his ass off for ages.

Ah! Thank you! Clearly I am dim enough not to get it!
As they say, ignorance is bliss :)

We probably need emoticons. Chances are it would make the communication curve a little more expressive.

I'll often start from the standpoint of a skeptic depending on the situation in which the opinion/idea is given or depending on the topic.  I won't always give much consideration to something rather farfetched but I won't necessarily discount something that I find difficult to believe.  That doesn't mean that I will accept it as fact either but if attempts to prove or disprove it aren't conclusive then I may consider it as a possibility, even if I still don't believe it, until such time it can be definitively proven otherwise.  Again, that is sometimes entirely dependent on what the subject is as some things are just too far out there to put too much thought into them.

I thought it was a rather well-put together video.  While it may be in response to being told one is not open-minded for not accepting beliefs (on the belief alone) the condescending tone doesn't take away from the value of the content.

Thanks for that info, I was trying to figure out who the original author of the video was.  

haha, I found an 'about' section on the Bad Astronomy site.  So thanks for the lead!

Oh!  Thanks, hehe.  I don't always post welcome graphics, figure I'd share it with the latest wave of users.  

as an example of being open-minded to me is where if I am having a debate about something and don't close my eyes to their views, but see myself in their situation, sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree, but for me, I always look at other people's way of life because not everyone was raised like me, so I always make sure that that is always on my mind when I hear or see something I don't agree with. I have to realize that they were raised differently. 

Okay, here is an example of me being open-minded before I found Paganism, when I was little I was raised in a Southern Baptist home, I was raised to think that any other religion besides Baptist Christian was the wrong religion. However, though I was raised like that, I never believed that. I found friends that were not Baptist and hung out with them even though they are a different religion. My family, did not want me hanging around them because they thought they would warp my spiritual being. I don't believe that hanging out with someone will warp their spiritual being, but I can see where they are coming from. 

I also believe that open-mind means to ask questions if you don't understand something instead of just judging something you don't understand

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service