I'm trying to understand how people on this forum have trouble distinguishing between the following:

Open-Minded: Receptive to arguments or ideas.

Tolerance: Sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own or the act of allowing something : toleration.

Acceptance: to qualify or state of being accepted or acceptable.

So, one is Open-Minded if they hear/read your opinion/argument/idea, they are not being Close-Minded if after hearing/reading your opinion/argument/idea they do not agree with you.

One is Tolerant if one doesn't take up arms against, or protest the equality of your beliefs. If someone thinks your religious notions are stupid, but doesn't take action to have your denomination listed as a cult and not a religion, if they do not take up arms against your coven/temple/church/etc., they are being tolerant.

I accept evolution as a fact, though my acceptance of it has no bearing on it's validity.

If the majority of people don't accept a fact, or the majority of people accept a fallacy, that has no bearing on what actually is.

Example: When the GOP gathered together for RNC(Republican National Convention), evolution was still true in Tampa and gays didn't cause hurricanes.

I will not participate in ego stroking or the feeding of fantasy, even if you call it being Open-Minded or Tolerant. Many on here have beliefs which contradict, yet say they are accepting of other beliefs. FALSE, you are being tolerant of them, to be accepting of their differing beliefs would be to forsake your own.

I will not be told that my skepticism is Close-Mindedness. Even when I know someone is wrong from the first sentence, for instance:

"Wicca comes from the ancient Druids."

I read their entire post. I am clearly being open-minded.

I do not advocate the death, incarceration, or unequal treatment of people who hold this clearly wrong belief. I am tolerant of all things but ignorance, which I rectify with a simple correction.

I accept that people are ignorant enough to believe such a fallacy, though I will always tell them when they are in the wrong.

How have you seen people misuse these terms?

Are their anythings you are intolerant of?

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hence the closing statement:  "Hello Kettle"...

Why is there no 'like' button? o.O

Fun fact: A persons opinions and beliefs shape their reality. All reality is based on perception.

It seems to me that being open minded would be accepting that their is validity in others thoughts and beliefs even if you yourself do not believe in them.

Stating that you dont believe in something is fine and dandy, saying that anyone who does is x, as long as x has a negative connotation at all, is still a personal attack against everyone who has that belief.

Culturely speaking you likely could say that wiccan developed from druidism. So that quote is far from false, even if its a little ambitious.

My only issue with many of the posts I have read of yours is that you seem to contradict yourself and undermine your own stances on things. And seem to have a very negative outlook on everything, and try very hard to prove your right and everyone else is wrong. Your stances seem very black and white, even though everything in the world is more shades of grey.

"Fun fact: A persons opinions and beliefs shape their reality. All reality is based on perception."

Nope, sorry, you are entirely wrong. Using the terms "their reality" and saying "All reality is based on perception" is entirely incorrect. If someone is crazy and thinks they are Bette Midler, they don't create some separate reality in which they are a triple threat.

People have their own point of view, experiences, and memories; all these things are actually useless.

Look into how we see things, how small our visual spectrum is. I don't see infrared, but it's there, I can detect this spectrum with scientific equipment. It was there before we could detect it or know what it is.

If your belief, that reality is personal and based on perception, you are saying that the folks at Westboro Baptist Church, The KKK, and Nazis are/were all correct to a certain degree; that their beliefs can't be considered wrong because their personal views are a reality.

In real reality: Westboro uses The Old Testament(The Torah) to bash Jews, The KKK is wrong(black people are the purest humans, all other "races" have traces of Neanderthal DNA), and Hitler's whole belief on the Aryans is historically false.

"It seems to me that being open minded would be accepting that their is validity in others thoughts and beliefs even if you yourself do not believe in them."

No, I'm Open-Minded because I read an entire Alex Jones article. I know off the bat it's gonna be some bat shit crazy bologna, but I still weigh his argument. One can even be entirely doubtful and still be Open-Minded. Being Close-Minded would be to not read the article, to skim it, or to immediately believe it with out question(the other end, not doubting at all is a form of Close-Mindedness as you are not open to other explanations).

"Stating that you dont believe in something is fine and dandy, saying that anyone who does is x, as long as x has a negative connotation at all, is still a personal attack against everyone who has that belief."

Anyone who does not believe in evolution is a fool. There is no other explanation. They are denying Anthropology, Archeology, Biology, Evolutionary Sciences, Paleontology, etc.

If you don't believe that I sunk a half court 3-pointer, you'd be no fool, nor would you be for one for believing me. That's not the same as denying shit loads of cross-discipline evidence in favor of an unfounded belief.

"Culturely speaking you likely could say that wiccan developed from druidism. So that quote is far from false, even if its a little ambitious."

Actually, culturally, Wicca comes from Germanic Paganism. What you call Druidism isn't even that. The bits of "Druidism" that Wicca is based on comes from the Romantic Revival, and actually goes against what we know from historic/archeological record.

Druids have been dead for centuries, any current remnants of the revival are nothing more than wishful thinking.

"My only issue with many of the posts I have read of yours is that you seem to contradict yourself and undermine your own stances on things. And seem to have a very negative outlook on everything, and try very hard to prove your right and everyone else is wrong. Your stances seem very black and white, even though everything in the world is more shades of grey."

Grey(gray) is an illusion. There is no such thing as darkness or cold, there is only absence of light or heat(energy).

What you see in my posts is the final step. I first gather data, from differing sides of the argument(how ever many theories), I then work from each as if they are correct. What happens: I hit dead ends on most theories; a 6000 year old Earth, Wicca being based on The Druids, Chemtrails, or The Moon Landing conspiracy all fail. Instead, my previous belief in Our planet being old as fuck, Wicca being a modern amalgamate based mainly on Germanic paganism, Contrails(condensation trails) and Oh, we totally went to the moon more than once; all come out on top.

I would agree -- as far as I'm concerned, reality is, by definition, objective.  Perception is important, but is also the realm of illusion, and no one knows everything or has absolute certainty.

It's probably more appropriate to say:

"All perceptive reality is based on point of view", otherwise you get a holy wall of text about the nature of 'reality'.  Subjective vs. Objective reality.

Think of you, a person, as reality. These people who are observing you are cameras that project an image into a computer.

It doesn't matter if one computer observing you has a defect in the camera and causes too much red. You and the world would not be changed by this flawed view of an observer.

If one of the computers had a glitch in programing and labeled you a Vogon, it would also not mean anything. Even if this computer was the main one, and then forced incorrect information onto the others.

Simply put: The term reality shouldn't be applied to people's failure of a personal experience. We see so little in the spectrum, hear so little. Our brains are so easily tricked, we are so dumb.

Which is why I said what I did.  People's perception of reality can often shape the way they view "reality", and then act accordingly.  Some people see weird shit, it doesn't mean the weird shit is there for the rest of us.

Someone going on a killing spree because they think they are Jack The Ripper could be a reality. Someone could act upon such a delusion.

They are not, however, a serial killer living in the late 19th century. The reality is that they commit acts based upon a delusion. A delusion is the opposite of reality, a false existence entirely in someones mind.

Yep. People have this concept that having judged something as inaccurate or being plain old garden-variety wrong is a bad thing. Because somehow having good judgment is seen as EVIL. And being educated and continuing to educate yourself is more so. Someone whose personal "opinion" is comprised of grossly inaccurate of facts in evidence of science is frankly a form of delusion. Be it faith-based or not. Which is why we are seeing whooping cough breakouts and why the Jenny McCarthy Body Count is so high.

I refuse to be so open-minded of that level of ignorance and sheer nincompoopage that my brains fall out. There's frankly enough of that going around in the U.S. I worked like hell to earn my education and try to keep up with the prevailing literature, I'm not going to ignore it to soften things for the thin-skinned. If someone knows more about a subject than I do, by all means, I want to read the sources you are reading. There's a hell of a lot of information out there.

The whole thing drives me bonkers.

I refuse to be so open-minded of that level of ignorance and sheer nincompoopage that my brains fall out.

zomg, this statement so rocks.  Made me crack up.  Thank you.

people misuse or mistake terms all the time. English is one of the most difficult languages to master...

I am intolerant of people talking down to others, and/or treating them badly.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service