What are some chants and/or songs that you feel resonate with you? What songs/chants do you use in rituals? If you had to recommend one song and one chant for every 'beginner', which would you recommend?

Views: 263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is the exact same one I repeat to myself all the time!!! BB hun
Ha, ha. The song Dream posted was the first to pop into my head : ) I think it's the easiest song to learn which a pagan will hear frequently. The other song I learned early on is this:
We all come from the Goddess
And to her we shall return
Like a drop of rain
Flowing to the ocean

I'm not sure who wrote the lyrics.
Dream and Sage, those are two of my favorite chants.
A very good beginning cd or tape whichever you can find on amazon.com is called: " Chants ritual music" by Reclaiming and Friends. They have a second cd out called Chants 2 so youmight want to try with those to start. These are what starte dme on my own path.
I am a Pagan musician and I have written a few of my own Pagan songs and chants. I can email them to anyone who would like to see the words and as soon as I have a few recorded I'll be posting some music samples.

Resurrecting this old thread because one song is just in my head.  It is a morality tale, not sure if it is based on a folk song or earlier song or story, but it is Sarah Brightman's Hijo de la Luna and is a very pagan song. 

It tells the story of a gypsy woman who invokes the goddess of the moon for a love spell.  She wants a passionate, gypsy man as her lover.  The moon comes down and agrees to give her her man, but in return, she wants their first born son.

[This is very pagan.  You want something from the gods, you have to offer something]

The gypsy agrees, but scoffs at the goddess for wanting to act like a woman.  She mocks her, "You can't find a lover to make you a woman, what are you going to do with a mortal child?"

[Also very pagan.  Pagans do not grovel in front of their gods and can talk to them adult to adult.  The gods can be very tolerant of disrespect when they want to.]

But everything goes as planned.  The gypsy woman gets her virile dark-skinned gypsy lover and is soon with child.  The moon bestows her blessing on the child in the womb in anticipation of the child being hers.

The child is born, and flush with the moon's blessing, looks nothing like his father or mother, pale-skinned with gray eyes.

The passionate gypsy man feels he has been cuckolded.  He confronts his lover, knife in hand, demanding to know who the father is.  Of course, the gypsy woman cannot answer.  He kills her to defend his honor, takes the child and exposes the infant on the mountaintop.  Where the moon happily comes down to claim her own.

To remind everyone she is a mother, the moon turns to a crescent to rock and comfort her child. 

[I always imagine the goddess of the moon at this point, smirking.  Trade's a trade.  Be careful what you wish for]

"Hijo De La Luna"

Tonto el que no entienda.

Cuenta una leyenda
Que una hembra gitana
Conjuró a la luna
Hasta el amanecer.
Llorando pedía
Al llegar el día
Desposar un calé.

"Tendrás a tu hombre,
Piel morena,"
Desde el cielo
Habló la luna llena.
"Pero a cambio quiero
El hijo primero
Que le engendres a él.
Que quien su hijo inmola
Para no estar sola
Poco le iba a querer."

Estribillo: 
Luna quieres ser madre
Y no encuentras querer
Que te haga mujer.
Dime, luna de plata,
Qué pretendes hacer
Con un niño de piel.
A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha, 
Hijo de la luna.

De padre canela
Nació un niño
Blanco como el lomo
De un armiño,
Con los ojos grises
En vez de aceituna --
Niño albino de luna.
"¡Maldita su estampa!
Este hijo es de un payo
Y yo no me lo callo."

Estribillo 

Gitano al creerse deshonrado,
Se fue a su mujer,
Cuchillo en mano.
"¿De quien es el hijo?
Me has engañado fijo."
Y de muerte la hirió.
Luego se hizo al monte
Con el niño en brazos
Y allí le abandono.

Estribillo 

Y en las noches
Que haya luna llena
Será porque el niño
Esté de buenas.
Y si el niño llora
Menguará la luna
Para hacerle una cuna.
Y si el niño llora
Menguará la luna
Para hacerle una cuna.

A few weeks ago, I sat at my desk flipping through Cunningham's book Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner, to see if I could find anything useful. I came across The Goddess Chant, a series of drawn-out vowel sounds:
A-a-ahhhh
O-o-ohhhh
Oo-oo-oo
Ee-ee-ee
I-ii-ii-iiiii
On a whim, I tried out the chant, and it amazed me how much it calmed and centered my consciousness. Now The Goddess Chant is part of my daily meditation. A serendipitous discovery.

These days I like to open my circle with:  Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit.  And close my circle with the earth, the air, the fire, the water, return, return, return, return.  Some people don't like the order I put the elements in but that is how I learned them and it works for me.

This one is called the Urilia Chant

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service