Views: 1031

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Therefore the gods aren't always interested in how the average joe runs his life.  Not all of the gods are particularly interested in the goings on of humans.  They do not direct humans very often.

I find this statement amusing in that it's operating on the notion that man didn't just make all this shit up.

But that's not the subject. The subject is whether their GOD told them to do it.  That pagans killed others in battle or in conquest is not under debate

Gods write books?  Who knew?!

The term “genos” is Greek for “race”, “tribe” or “nation,” and cide = en masse.  Not complete extinction.

• Genocide for Religious Offenses

The Amphictyonic league of states, a military alliance in charge of the oracle of Apollo in Delphi, promised to “uproot” any city that committed offenses against the oracle or the sanctuary, according to the book “The Oxford Handbook of Genocide Studies." Historical artifacts tell about the destruction of Kirrha for hostility against the oracle in 591 B.C., as well as the flooding and devastation of Babylon in 689 B.C., a consequence, by some accounts, of having cult images that they took from the Assyrians.

Look, everyone loves that film 300, it's based on the landscape of Greece at that time.

The second film alludes to the era in which Greeks were progressively forcing out other Greeks.  Murder, Slavery and Systematic Rape of women.

300 Rise of the Empire

Rise of the Empire is set in a time where Greeks were divided over Sovereignty and Democracy, much of that involved Religious indications.  In spite of what people believe, Greeks were also divided over whether the 'gods' were nothing more than mental abstractions or actual entities in control of events involving humans.

Yes, plenty of Greeks were Atheists.

Therefore the gods aren't always interested in how the average joe runs his life.  Not all of the gods are particularly interested in the goings on of humans.  They do not direct humans very often.

I find this statement amusing in that it's operating on the notion that man didn't just make all this shit up.

Of course it's making that assumption.  If you're a theist and believe in the gods, then sure.  Otherwise this whole thread can be dismissed with

Who cares if Christianity is paganism in disguise?  They're both made up.

a very short thread.

But that's not the subject. The subject is whether their GOD told them to do it.  That pagans killed others in battle or in conquest is not under debate

Gods write books?  Who knew?!

Who said that?

The term “genos” is Greek for “race”, “tribe” or “nation,” and cide = en masse.  Not complete extinction.

Genocide is a modern word coined in the 20th century, not an ancient one.  It's just a base word, no need to get excited.

• Genocide for Religious Offenses

The Amphictyonic league of states, a military alliance in charge of the oracle of Apollo in Delphi, promised to “uproot” any city that committed offenses against the oracle or the sanctuary, according to the book “The Oxford Handbook of Genocide Studies." Historical artifacts tell about the destruction of Kirrha for hostility against the oracle in 591 B.C., as well as the flooding and devastation of Babylon in 689 B.C., a consequence, by some accounts, of having cult images that they took from the Assyrians.

"Uproot" meaning what, exactly?

In literature, the cult objects were taken from the city of Troy too.  Was everyone wiped out in Troy?  Nope.

Look, everyone loves that film 300, it's based on the landscape of Greece at that time.

No, not everyone does.  I thought it was stupid, knowing the histories and cultures of the Persians and Spartans at the time.  The only thing good about it was the male eye-candy.

The second film alludes to the era in which Greeks were progressively forcing out other Greeks.  Murder, Slavery and Systematic Rape of women.

300 Rise of the Empire

None of which mean genocide.

Rise of the Empire is set in a time where Greeks were divided over Sovereignty and Democracy, much of that involved Religious indications.  In spite of what people believe, Greeks were also divided over whether the 'gods' were nothing more than mental abstractions or actual entities in control of events involving humans.

Yes, plenty of Greeks were Atheists.

Yes, so?  There were atheists, agnostics, average theists, casual theists, very pious theists.  Just like everywhere else throughout time.

Of course it's making that assumption.  If you're a theist and believe in the gods, then sure.  Otherwise this whole thread can be dismissed with

Oh I dunno, could be just a matter of sociological interest and humans expressing themselves. The essence of 'culture'.  What people believe, makes it into books, those books are used to carry knowledge. It doesn't however affect Objective Reality in the way people hope.  

Subjective Reality = the reason people act out against others.

Take for instance the Rwandan genocide, I'm pretty sure the Tutsi/Hutu slaughtered were considered to be an inferior and problematic race to the Hutu Major.  In fact, using 'civil war' is always a great cover for superstitious beliefs and righteous indignation.

It doesn't matter much that Belgium intervened to give these people Independence.  Culture doesn't change over night, it certainly doesn't erase the problems ignited by colonization either.

Did a holy book tell these people to slaughter their own people?  A god?  Does it really matter?  Gods don't just show up and tell people what to do, man infects man with other ideas and then he decides to act upon them.

Then what say you of the Japanese in both Nanking and against Christians? What do you say in the case of Neanderthals vs homo sapiens? You also must have not read the sources because the Tlaxcalans did want to destroy the Aztecs, as they didn't want to become an Aztec state. This is not including the Maori massacres where they killed other tribes with the advent of guns in Polynesia or the Native American peoples who were completely wiped out by other natives prior to European contact.

According to Yale Rome did commit genocide. Have fun arguing with that: http://www.yale.edu/gsp/ancient/
Roman politics and religion are intertwined. The emperor is a divinity and anyone or group opposed was killed. They were basically like the Japanese about that. The native data I think is incomplete. Prophets didn't really appear until the Middle east and I believe Zoroaster was the first. natives never had prophets to my knowledge so that is an unusual question. The only reason genocide wasn't more common is because of geography and contact back in the day. Still, what she said is disproven by the Japanese who are far from Christian.

Roman politics and religion are intertwined. The emperor is a divinity

The ancient Roman state was indeed entwined with religion, but not all emperors were divine.  They had to be proclaimed as such and special dispensation given to them.  They were not automatically divine.

In fact I think Zoroastrians were killing people not of their religion zealously before the Hebrews ever did. They were the base of monotheism and prophesy, duality, and good and evil in abrahamic religion.

But you could always fact check him, I did find these Flavia people in a Catholic website.  Flavia Domitilla really is a Catholic Saint.  And the Flavia Clemens guy was also mentioned.  I posted the links in the comments.  I wouldn't mind getting my hands on anything related to Josephus; however, anybody could edit wikipidea, and anybody could write a book.  But if I could find legit info on Josephus, then it would mean that it pretty much all checks out.   It's not like we could time travel and see for ourselves.  Books are the best time travelings we could do. 

The Flavians part is probably correct.  Just because a person is wrong about one thing, doesn't mean that they're wrong about everything.  It does say, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" in the Bible somewhere in Mark.  The Flavia Domillia really is a Catholic Saint. It was in a Catholic website.   Flavia Clement is always marked as a Catholic Saint and matryr.  Sure, he was beheaded, but it could've been done by the Jewish rebels.  After all, I don't think the Jews ever bought the Jesus bull.  When I went to Judaism.about.com  The people who believe in Judaism says that Jesus doesn't meet the requirements to be a Messiah.   You have to be born of 2 humans to be a Messiah.  They don't believe in the resurrection of Jesus, either. 

And well, here's all the requirements Jesus fell to meet: http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasics/a/Jewish-View-Of-Jesus.htm

But yeah, just because a person is wrong about one thing.  Doesn't mean that they're necessarily wrong about everything.   A girl I meet in facebook did do her own research and she says that most of what he says actually checks out.  I don't watch a video and assume everything is true.  Neither do I look at one error and go, "Well, none of it's true."  I like to do my own research and cross reverence things to see how much of it is true. 

And he is right about Flavius Constantine.  Even at the Episcopal Church we learned about the wonderful role that Constantine or Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus Augustus played in the church.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great

Likewise, most people don't read the Bible for themselves.  Or they don't pay that much attention in church.  I've seen verses in church that most Christians didn't know existed.  Like most Christians don't know that you're not supposed to eat certain types of fish.  I found that.  But many Christians don't know it.   The Bible also says that if a woman is not a virgin than she should be stoned to death, guess how many Christians know that?  Most of the times, people are in auto-pilot while in church.  But my atheist friend did see for herself verses that seemed Anti-Semetic.   She introduced the film to me, and she helps me spot the things I've missed in the Bible.  She gives me the chapter and verses so I could see for myself.  Instead of being in auto-pilot mode where you're not really paying any attention to what you're reading.  I can't even begin to tell you HOW many times we have read Genisis at my mom's church, YET, nobody acknowledges that it says "Let US create man in OUR own image." Nobody even noticed it was in plurals in as many times as we read it. 

Also, the whole bible wasn't effected only Matthew, Mark, and the other 2.   I'm also reading the works of Flavius Jopheus.  I would like to see for myself how accurate he is.  Then he possibly making one or two mistakes and going, "Well, damn he made one mistake so EVERYTHING he says is wrong my default."  In my opinion, just because one thing is wrong doesn't mean anything is wrong.  I mean, you've never made a mistake in your whole entire life?  You never made a careless mistake over something that you were knowledgeable of?  You've always been perfect 100% of the time, even when it comes to something you know?  

Well, you are entitled to your opinion that if a person makes one mistake then they're not worth listening to.  I'm not going to argue with you one that. 

I can't even begin to tell you HOW many times we have read Genisis at my mom's church, YET, nobody acknowledges that it says "Let US create man in OUR own image." Nobody even noticed it was in plurals in as many times as we read it. 

It's very likely that the clergy of your mom's church is well aware of what it says, but a church is not a teaching or educational institution.  It's basically a reinforcement of dogma institute.  The clergy is not going to bring up questionable sections of the scriptures and debate them with members.

They might lose members doing that.

They're going to ignore anything that might throw a kink in the canon and simply emphasize what the consider 'the message'.  Doubting or questioning is not really a virtue in Christian thought.   

RSS

Latest Activity

Matt Raney is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Monday
Morning Star is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 12
Jamie Gunter liked Jamie Gunter's profile
Oct 11
Hal Spencer Briggs III is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 10
Dena Vogel updated their profile
Oct 4
Sojahu BaVitki posted a status
"are they going to charge for this one too?"
Oct 4
Albert Feyen posted a status
"I'n checking out paganspacev2"
Oct 4
Profile IconAlbert Feyen and daniel graves joined PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 4

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service