Is the history that we are told mostly bias? DO we add our own bias, or is it just a serious of what we agreed on that actually happened?

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The history we are told is written by the powerful and those the world wants to agree with regardless of the truth...

All stories humans tell each other have bias, and the group of stories we call "history" is no exception. Any version of "what happened" is going to leave out some details, and is going to focus on others, and portray them in a way that supports the goal of the storyteller.

This isn't, on its own, a bad thing. We need curation of facts to not drown in the details. We need overview synopses of events to draw some understanding and use that understanding to make choices in the future. But we need to be aware that we are never, ever working from "the full truth," and that our limited focus areas may be leaving out huge portions of what happened.

James W. Loewen's Lies My Teacher Told Me (and his other books) are good examples of the problems with "history" as taught in US schools. His main issue isn't with bias - everything is biased - but with the deliberate suppression of details that clash with the bias. 

It's better than you research history and not just rely on what you've been "told" as history.  Read it yourself.  Check the references.  

it seems often in society that we just trade one bias or opinion for another. than really looking at it at the end it seems fruitless to really care for focusing on the past you don't enjoy the moment, but at the same time we are baited into the past events.

Look at it this way. Realizing the importance of history, there are many ways to find facts other than text books, professors, and boob tubes. There are plenty of reliable postings of original documents out there, for example, if you don't like taking anybodys word for it.

That is one of the benefits of the information age, assuming that companies like Google decide not to tamper with it, that leaves no stones of ignorance unturned. If you continue to see it through your own biases, I can't speak to that.

I would just say to beware of anyone who wants to hand it to you on a plate.

Sooner or later, you will have to give credit to some scholars and researchers in the field. In time you will be able to spot obvious biases based purely on political, social, and religious agendas.

There are alot of books available from all kinds of sources, as well as other diverse digital research material, that can supplement a formal education library.

It depends on the source. What is acceptable isn't always true, yet what is always true will ever be a mark on that which helped us grow to who and what we are today. How we make history, is by stepping into a role we passionately believe in.

History is written by the victors.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service