I have also posted this to my blog here and my Wolf Woods blog... just as it outrages me.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/unrepentant_koran_burning_pastor_fRyFidoKwYvdVrG4BgYmLP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

http://www.doveworld.org

I spent part of this morning being hit with news about a Florida pastor wanting to burn Korans on the anniversary of 9-11. The man is planning to do this as a “warning”
a quote from the news story at the top... “"Instead
of us being blamed for what other people will do or might do, why
don't we send a warning to them?" he said. "Why don't we
send a warning to radical Islam and say, don't do it. If you attack
us, ... we will attack you."”

I have a problem with this kind of “public display”, it is wrong on many, many levels. Why would anyone want to do something so hateful
to people who
haven't
done anything to anyone. Not everyone who follows the Koran can be
blamed for things a few of it's followers do, so why do these people
want to hurt the ones who want to live their lives quietly?

To do this shows that the person who thinks it's a good idea is no better than the person they say is wrong. They are their own worst
enemy. The second link is for the site for the church that is
proposing this “Koran burning”, I wrote them an email telling
them I believe they are wrong. I do not know if telling them what
people think will change their minds, but I couldn't not say
something when I think it is so very wrong.

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just heard a Gainsville reporter on NPR, she said that the church is very small, 50 ppl. But the crowds that will be in town this weekend for a home game will be in the thousands. That is causing a major security issue. The majority of the towns population is worried and embarrassed. They arent being represented well by this loony, shameful is what it is, that he is getting such airtime, and even as we post to this we add to the firestorm he is causing. But as you said earlier in the post a minute ago, we are exercising our free speech as well.
"It is the duty of Muslims to react," said Mohammad Mukhtar, a cleric and candidate for the Afghan parliament in the Sept. 18 election. "When their holy book Quran gets burned in public, then there is nothing left. If this happens, I think the first and most important reaction will be that wherever Americans are seen, they will be killed. No matter where they will be in the world they will be killed."

I think that this is a very unfortunate statement. It really sort of perpetuates a lot of the anti-Muslim sentiment that Islam is a religion of violence. I get that burning these books is a highly offensive act and I certainly find it hateful and detestable myself. However, what I find even more hateful and detestable is the idea that being offended is a valid justification for the murder of innocent people.
You just hit the nail on the head for me, Hanako! No one has the right to kill someone because they got offended, because their little feelings were hurt. We are not guaranteed the right not to be offended. A good thing for a free society.
Do you think that when he says Americans will be killed that that would include Muslim Americans?
I really don't know if he makes that distinction or not. Either way, it sounds to me like he is encouraging violent action.
I wonder if he can even comprehend a Muslim American.
However, what I find even more hateful and detestable is the idea that being offended is a valid justification for the murder of innocent people.

There is enough radical belief and blame to go around on this issue Hanako. I remember when it was mere cartoons making fun of Muhammed that would bring cries of death to anyone who dared to make fun of Gods most holy of prophets.
There was a book written in the 80's. I can't remember the name of the author. He had to live in hiding for decades. Now I have to find it, damn!
Van Dorian, I believe is the author you are referring to. I have noticed that a lot of people seem to want to forget about the authors, film makers and even a Dutch Politician that have been outright murdered by radical Muslims for offending their silly sensibilities.

Also is the apparent fact to ignore that many pagans and atheist wouldn't dream of defending Christianity if any of its followers murdered Muslim authors, film makers or even presidents, just because their god or prophet Jesus were to be insulted.

In fact, if it were on the Christian foot there would be no mercy at all, but the new fad is Islam and like anything else that pits itself against the status quo, it is to be venerated at all cost, anything in opposition to Christianity is ok with a lot of people. Never the mind that it isn't just Christianity that is a threat to islam. There are many things within secularization that many pagans find appealing that wouldn't sit well in most Muslim households and has absolutely no place in the world of Islam.

I find it amusing that the same people who damn christianity for some things will claim we should respect Islam when it holds many of the same tenets as christianity. Truly amazing. Stupid, but amazing none the less.
"Also is the apparent fact to ignore that many pagans and atheist wouldn't dream of defending Christianity if any of its followers murdered Muslim authors, film makers or even presidents, just because their god or prophet Jesus were to be insulted."

I can only speak for myself, but I would absolutely and without hesitation defend innocent Christians who were being persecuted because of the horrific acts of SOME (or even many) Christians. I would not necessarily defend Christianity as a whole, anymore than I am defending Islam as a whole. What I am defending and will continue to defend is every individual's right to be judged by their own actions, not the actions of others.

Believe it or not I actually share many of the concerns that you have expressed about the political influence that religion has at this time and I also agree with the point that right now we are allowing Islam to control us with fear and it sickens and frustrates me. I think the difference though is that I don't think that (every single Muslim in the world) = Islam, anymore than I think that (every single Christian in the world) = Christianity.

In my view, most of the danger in these ideologies comes from A) the political and religious leaders who seek power through faith and B) the fantatics and extremists, many of whom are essentially created by the people in group A. When I defend Muslims or Christians, it is the people in group C, that I am defending, and yes there really really really is a group C. Sadly, many of those people get caught up or dragged into the crap created by A and B...
I think the difference though is that I don't think that (every single Muslim in the world) = Islam, anymore than I think that (every single Christian in the world) = Christianity.

No Hanako, this is not the difference, at least not between you and myself. I do not hold all Muslims responsible for the acts of some.

The only difference that you and I probably have is that I do not believe, and this is because of my closer location to thousands of American Muslims in this country, as well as my almost daily interactions with them, that any majority of them have come to America or start families in America, to escape the tenets of their religion. Even those who are multi-generation, American Muslim, but still are practicing their faith put their religious tenets above many of our constitutional rights.
"I do not hold all Muslims responsible for the acts of some." Fair enough and thank you for clarifying that. I must admit that there have been a few things you have said which gave me the impression that perhaps you did.

"The only difference that you and I probably have is that I do not believe ......... that they have come to America to escape the tenets of their religion."

Well I'm not sure that's the difference either because that is not my belief. My belief is that those who were not born here and have chosen to come to America have done so for a variety of different reasons which are unique to each individual or family.

"And as many here would take on the challenge of getting those things changed, well, so too would many, many more than you know, American Muslims, like to see changed for what they deem for decency sake and their political will power will soon be as strong and as likely to do the job as those in the pagan culture."

I think I understand what you are saying here and I don't completely disagree, but rather it is an issue that I have mixed feelings about. Christians use their political power to promote change in our country as well. It seems to me that many Christians would be just as happy to sacrifice our freedoms to their God as any Muslims are likely be.

The issue to me is not about Islam's influence in politics but religion's influence and I think we agree on that point. But, my question to you is how would you propose that we solve the issue? Muslims and Christians are citizens of this country and they certainly have a right to be heard and have their opinions count just as much as anyone else. Would you agree? What would you like to see happen (within the realms of reality)?

"we are in a war that is about religion"

I agree with you here though my take on it is probably slightly different. I am, however, beginning to feel as though "holy war" is the only possible outcome (especially with the way religious and political leaders overseas are responding to the book burning sitution).

"if my post seem anti-Muslim to you or anyone else than that is just your perception, because I am NOT Anti-Muslim but I am anti-religious in any and all political sense"

It never occured to me personally that you are specifically anti-Muslim. Based on the things I have seen you express, my impression has been that you are anti-religion in general and specifically concerned about the way religion influences politcal matters. It is also my impression that you have a somewhat negative view of Islam overall based on your own personal experiences and knowlege of it. That's been my perception thus far but I don't assume that it's correct.

"and I don't like seeing our government permitting itself to be pawns by these religious fanatics just for the sake of peace at all cost."

On this point, we can most definitely agree.

I do have a question for you. You mentioned that much of your experience with Muslims comes from your work on the police force and also your daily interaction with them. Do you think it could be possible that your experiences might be a little skewed toward the negative side because of where the experience comes from? I have no idea what your full experience or knowledge is or where it comes from so I am not assuming anything here - which is why I am asking.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service