I don't what a responds I will get on this subject but I will try . Does any one know any thing about Lithuania paganism and ancestor ways I dug a little only I found out its little on druid side .Can any one share info   with me

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not lithuanian, but the part of the world I come from shares the same historical and ethnic substrate, from millenia ago.

The works of Marija Gimbutas - try and find them, some of them are e-books..

This is a movie about her work made by Starhawk.

Enjoy!
I don't know how to be gentle about this, so uh, here goes... Lithuanians aren't Slavic peoples, they're Balts/Baltic. Sure they share similiarities with NW Slavs, but thats because the Old Prussians (NOT to be confused with the Germanic Prussians) and what are now the Baltic States are neighbors and interacted/ interact with the Slavs (IE. the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth).
Oh, and I might want to mention you will also find some similarities in their Gods. The biggest example being Perkunas (Lith.) and Slavic Piorun (Polish)/Perun (Ukrainian)
And we have Perkele here in Finland which means the Devil (as does piru)... Curse words nowadays.
I'll be in on this thread soon!
Lithuanian Folk religion is called Romuva, named after an ancient temple in Old Prussia. As I will be getting off the computer soon, I will just leave you some links to look in to it. You can find out more information here:

http://www.romuva.lt/ (I believe this one of the few sites that has an English translation, many don't see the need to translate due to their strong ethnic feelings (not to be mistaken with extreme nationalism, most groups are apolitical).

Estonian!

.ee
I couldn't tell you much about Estonian folk religion, but the Estonians are ethnically related to the Finnish and not the Balts even though their a "Baltic" country. :) Not saying that it doesn't have valid wealth of information on there related to Lithuanian and Latvian folklore....
I couldn't tell you much about Estonian folk religion, but the Estonians are ethnically related to the Finnish and not the Balts even though their a "Baltic" country. :) Not saying that it doesn't have valid wealth of information on there related to Lithuanian and Latvian folklore....

What are you going on about? I said .ee is Estonia. I think I have the whole Finn/Estonian/Balt thing down, DJ. . . ;) And for the record, there is quite a bit of folkloric mixing in the part of the word =)
Oh, Pav, I just love you! *hugs*
=)

I should have said "in this part of the world", but no one's perfect, hey... =)

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service