Man-hating lesbians: Ravenwolf, and DJ Conway. What say the Dianics?

I am nearly finished reading DJ Conway's A Witch's Guide to Astral Realms. Honestly, I wish I had never bought this book. It is not without some amount of useful information, but in the mean time, it is filled with a silly, petty use of pronouns, (her/him and she/he instead of he/she or him/her, or just saying "them") nearly constant sexist references, and, considering the writing style, leaves me seriously wondering how much first-hand knowledge and experience the author actually has; that she didn't just read or plagiarize from someone else. Also, the book is poorly written and if anything, really just serves more as a vehicle for the author's opinion of the topic, rather than more of a how-to of the topic, if not outright putting out some agenda.

Dj Conway makes it very obvious, her hatred of men. The pronouns thing, I really could just let go, because that's really not a big deal; but nearly every example she gives on how to try out the techniques, involves a cheating husband. She even talks about her first marriage and how much of a living hell it was, and how controlling her mother was, right up until she died. She also does not waste an opportunity to praise achievements by women in the absence of men, such as more than occasionally mentioning about an Amazonian-like society, man free, that supposedly had preserved peace for over 1500 years, in some part of the world that few if any real historical sources would likely back up. Now Conway, I'm sorry that you reacted negatively to situations that you chose to put yourself in, but a real writer tends to write more responsibly and professionally, and leaves out personal agendas from any book that is a how-to on astral projection and/or witchcraft. (or should I have said "or/and" ?)

I am not as familiar with Silver Ravenwolf's work, but I hear from others that she is criticized for some/many of the same things that Conway is criticized for. I want to be clear, this is not a discussion to rip on women or femininism; there are some very good female authors out there, Dion Fortune, Doreen Virtue, Michelle Belanger, Freya Aswynn, etc. that write responsibly and well, and leave their own personal antisocial issues out of books that are intended to help people learn in a positive way about witchcraft, Paganism, or energy work; because that is the point.

Keeping these things in mind, I have a question for all the Dianics and Pagan feminists out there...  

What is your opinion of Ravenwolf, Conway, and the other authors I mentioned?

Before anyone else mentions it, I really don't care if me using the word "lesbian" offends anyone. I use the term loosely, learn to take a joke. I figured it was less offensive than "bull-dyke"

Views: 4165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It makes them feel better to burn books than to actually read said books and critique  them adequately.
um well.... there is this thread. Not that it isn't a bit sarcastic for a thread. But some books really are that bad. Have you ever read Witta by Edain McCoy? Actually I should do a thread about that book.

I'll take them. Personally, I like Silver Ravenwolf. I would pay the shipping. Please choose me  ;-)  !!!! I treasure books. My grandmother was a teacher and she taught me to never write in, tear, fold pages, or in anyway damage any books. So yeah, seriously, I would be glad to take them off your hands.

Many Blessings of Love and Light ~

Willow Wisteria

willowwisteria@hotmail.com

I have a few books of hers that I'm willing to let go of. read them but have no interest in actually using them if that makes sense. Let me know who wants them.
Excellent response!
Pagan Preschool! that's funny as hell!

The pronoun thing is the writer's preference.  Even White Wolf's books mostly feature "she" as the main pronoun to try to have girls RPG.  

I've only read Dancing With Dragons by Conway and I have not noted any sexual preferences, she usually uses "you" when directing to the reader, so I haven't noticed any sexism.  I can see why so many Pagan authors, especially women, want to bring out the women, however, they may go a little too far when excluding the masculine energy or making it negative.

Even in a woman's body she has testosterone and estrogen, I believe these are the chemical symbols of the feminine and masculine energies because everyone has both.  To deny it would be just as bad as how patriarchy has suppressed women over the millennia.  

look up Dancing with Dragons on Amazon book reviews. I almost bought this book a while ago, because I am interested in dragon magick, but then I read the reviews, just abysmal.

And yes, I would much prefer an author to use the word "you" or "them" instead of he/she or she/he

I personally like Dancing With Dragons, but I think most of the information you can find online.  It's not any worse than any other Witchy book about basics really.

Lol, it seems a lot of Wiccan books are geared for women these days.  It is like they are catering to a market. Anyway it seems to me that a lot of Wiccan or witchcraft guides are mostly the author's opinion and they don't really seem to care about putting hardcore, practical details. Author Edian McCoy is one I think that does that a lot. Drives me crazy. We as witches or pagans need to start demanding better books!
sister, you are so right. That's why I only buy off of amazon.com now, they have some excellent book reviews and haven't steered me wrong yet. Go into a bookstore and buy most things by Llewellyn publishing and you will likely be disappointed.
Stonewolf do yourself a favor and look up lesbian before you use it in a derogatory way. You may find you just gave a complement to this author you don't care for.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service