Man-hating lesbians: Ravenwolf, and DJ Conway. What say the Dianics?

I am nearly finished reading DJ Conway's A Witch's Guide to Astral Realms. Honestly, I wish I had never bought this book. It is not without some amount of useful information, but in the mean time, it is filled with a silly, petty use of pronouns, (her/him and she/he instead of he/she or him/her, or just saying "them") nearly constant sexist references, and, considering the writing style, leaves me seriously wondering how much first-hand knowledge and experience the author actually has; that she didn't just read or plagiarize from someone else. Also, the book is poorly written and if anything, really just serves more as a vehicle for the author's opinion of the topic, rather than more of a how-to of the topic, if not outright putting out some agenda.

Dj Conway makes it very obvious, her hatred of men. The pronouns thing, I really could just let go, because that's really not a big deal; but nearly every example she gives on how to try out the techniques, involves a cheating husband. She even talks about her first marriage and how much of a living hell it was, and how controlling her mother was, right up until she died. She also does not waste an opportunity to praise achievements by women in the absence of men, such as more than occasionally mentioning about an Amazonian-like society, man free, that supposedly had preserved peace for over 1500 years, in some part of the world that few if any real historical sources would likely back up. Now Conway, I'm sorry that you reacted negatively to situations that you chose to put yourself in, but a real writer tends to write more responsibly and professionally, and leaves out personal agendas from any book that is a how-to on astral projection and/or witchcraft. (or should I have said "or/and" ?)

I am not as familiar with Silver Ravenwolf's work, but I hear from others that she is criticized for some/many of the same things that Conway is criticized for. I want to be clear, this is not a discussion to rip on women or femininism; there are some very good female authors out there, Dion Fortune, Doreen Virtue, Michelle Belanger, Freya Aswynn, etc. that write responsibly and well, and leave their own personal antisocial issues out of books that are intended to help people learn in a positive way about witchcraft, Paganism, or energy work; because that is the point.

Keeping these things in mind, I have a question for all the Dianics and Pagan feminists out there...  

What is your opinion of Ravenwolf, Conway, and the other authors I mentioned?

Before anyone else mentions it, I really don't care if me using the word "lesbian" offends anyone. I use the term loosely, learn to take a joke. I figured it was less offensive than "bull-dyke"

Views: 4165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was talking about a specific kind of lesbian, the man hating kind. They are out there, and some of them write books that are poorly researched and poorly written. No offense to the lesbians that don't have an agenda against men. Read the book I was talking about and see what I mean.
Well you see dear, hating men isn't a sexual orientation thing. I know a lot of hetrosexual women that hate men outside the act of sex. If you would take time to look up the word lesbian you will see it is attached to a poet of the 600 BC era who was married and had children. Oh by the way she was female. But not a man hater by any means. You may actually learn a little about the Greek path from reading about her and her poetry. Also how pagan's viewed things before the influx of the christian faith. She was also a very well thought of writer so calling this author lesbian is a complement. That is what I was getting at in my earlier post.
CHeers for Corvus!!!!  Yay!  Awesome backflip Gurl!
yeah... thanks for all of that. The meat of my post was about Conway's writing style. Perhaps I didn't realize that loosely using the word "lesbian" was such a hot button issue. I'd like to keep this about Ravenwolf and Conway though.
Then you should edit your OP, or start a new thread with an edited version of the OP.  If you don't want people commenting on something, it's best that it's not there in the first place.
I think you hit a little close to home for some folks Stonewolf! Heh come on people. We all know there is a difference between a lesbian and a man hating lesbian.

An if you don't, your inability to be informed is not his fault.
thanks James :)
The people who have accused me of being a man hating lesbian (of which I am neither) realy REALLY don't.  And on the internet, words are all we have go by.  Choosing them carefully and using them well should go without saying.  Flipancy often leads to misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and anger, deserved or not.
Well now you know dear. Just trying to keep you from complimenting an author you seem to have an issue with.
Im a lesbian but not a man hater...I think that she has a right to write any way she wants, and to tell her story as she sees it. She wrote the book its our choose to pick it up or put it down

I'm a feminist in the sence of fighting for equal right for women, however, I dislike calling myself that because of all the images the word invokes for many. I blame crazy man-hating-femi-nazis for this. They give the movement a bad name and make feminists seem like we were all hurt by men and are out to get revenge on them by creating a society where women rule and men are slaves. >< I hate that!

I also dislike the fact that most of paganism and wicca that is mainstream seems to target women and the divine feminine and forget the men and male aspect! I am Wiccan and I love men! I need the balance of both, feminine/masculine and male/female. Women and men, both, can be strong and nurturing. They both house feminine and masculine qualities.

I've read Ravenwolf, but I don't take too much she write seriously. I just try to take what I can from mainstream pagan books, and I know going into them that they might be silly and targeting a specif audience that I am not really apart of.

As for Conway, I've never read her stuff, but it sound very unplesent. :/

Thankfully this is starting to change!

I once heard a Catholic Nun comment that it was about time men broke up the "Old Girls Club" in Wicca lol

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service