I've been reading up on various things, like Wicca and other traditions. Was wondering what people's thoughts are on mixing traditions. Say, like being a Wiccan but incorporating Norse or Hellenic deities. Is that offensive and rude to the reconstructionist traditions? Also, would that be a form of appropriation, even if they are European traditions? 

Also, if it is appropriation or offensive, is there anything wrong with being both Wiccan and a Hellenic pagan (from what I've read from other commentators they are highly compatible though different in some ways)? Practicing both but keeping the practices separate. Or should a person only have one tradition. 

I'm trying to work these things out for myself to pursue the path that will harm the least amount of people but fit who I am. If nothing else, I'll just really admire the Greek myths and deities and stick to what I'm doing. But if it is okay to have two practices, I might consider it. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Was wondering what people's thoughts are on mixing traditions."

Mixing traditions can cause some undesirable consequences. Nobody really knows the full scope of what we are dealing with. Most traditions were developed through trial-and-error, I guess you could do the same in mixing things up a bit. Overall, it comes down to individual desires. If it feels good do it, but what may feel good today could have unforeseen consequences in the future. Picture yourself a pioneer going into uncharted areas and share what you learn along the way with us here at Pagan Space.

It's good that you're giving this some thought.  Eclecticism is all well and good, but when you start disregarding some of the major aspects of a god because another part of your path says you/the god shouldn't be doing XY or Z, then you might as well make up a new god.

Few people here would think it OK if Lilith or Hecate suddenly became maternal goddesses full of love and warm fuzzies and only concerned with kittens and raising little kids because going to the Dark Side was a no-no for one's path.

Same with worshipping a god who is an exacter of revenge, if you don't want revenge to be sought because it's not part of your path, what's the point?  What is he/she going to represent to you?

Polytheism is all well and good, as is eclecticism, but some consistency is called for.

Image result for Applause GIF

File Under Coyote Magic

That made me lmfao, Shawn. =p

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback I received on this. It's given me a lot to think about and I feel confident I am going in the right direction.

Just from reading about the Greek deities, I can tell most don't fit into Wicca. Which is about harming none. So I don't feel that honoring them through Wicca would be a proper course of action. But that doesn't mean I can't have a separate Hellenic practice as well as being a Wiccan. Even if I probably won't seek the counsel of war gods or those bent on revenge. I'm just not a warrior minded or vengeful person. I think we form relations with the Gods that speak to us the most.

I have a lot of homework to do and I'm just starting to walk down that road. Once I've done some more research and read a book or two, I'll have a better idea if that tradition is something that makes sense to me. Whether I should commit myself to it. Either way I'm enjoying what I'm learning! And it won't be an effort in vain.

If I had not already done the applause gif ,

I would use it for your post here , Ebony...

I wish you well on your path , and know you

will find your own shining way , and blaze

your trail...like no other ever could !

Being a warrior has nothing to do with vengeance, and even Aphrodite had an association with Ares. It was Aphrodite after all who caused the Trojan War out of spite. The forces which stand behind the gods are very deep, and you have to dig a bit to really get close to them. Consider the myths as hints and not as absolute descriptions.

Aphrodite also used to be Ishtar, who is a war goddess. So her association makes sense.

Actually it was Eris who caused the Trojan War out of spite, not Aphrodite.

When we speak of "spirits of place" and bring in

geophysical considerations , I agree , Who ;

Power spots where rituals have been conducted

over ages , hold the energy of certain gods / spirits ,

and that is an important consideration , as well the

language of the land , as close to the original as we

can find / or substantiate...

I myself , look forward to be at the stones one night ,

doing just that...my soul longs for that experience...

However , a question for all :

If one lives in a city , or large area where nature is sparse ,

let alone the chaotic energy of daily life , and no power spot

nearby , and no knowledge of the particular gods of the area ,

what then ?

Not to sound like ghostbusters , but "Who Do You Call"  ?

Just a thought...;)

And I must say , I relate to this , very much , considering

my Tradition and the Code I work with :

"unless of course we accept also that the inter dimensional possibility of a unified past

history exists, or can exist in the historical/spirit domain, where all folk wander among

each other and there is therefore no past cultural or spiritual difference once we have

`passed over`."

( Shades Of "Riverworld" By Philip Jose Farmer )...LOL !

I actually believe our Eclectic leanings to be a millennial phenomenon. This generation is both scared and addicted to tradition and is consequently hyper-wary and engaged. The next one is already proving to be very practical and skeptical. The one after will be more mystical. 

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service