I put Bear to sleep yesterday and I've been beating myself up ever since. He was getting progressively worse and they thought he had a brain tumor. He wasn't enjoying life anymore. I couldn't really do anything else for him, but I can't help feeling like I betrayed him. This is the first time I've ever had to put a pet to sleep.

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rose, I can truly understand how you feel. I had to put my baby (Grendel) down a few years ago. He was my VERY best friend. It almost killed me. And, to this day I still cry to think about it. I could have been selfish and let him live out his life in pain just to keep him near me. But, that would have been terrible. We had such a bond between us that his death didn't break it. When I'm very upset I can feel him curl up next to my head (where he always slept) and my two cats that I have now will leave the room. They don't stay around when Grendel is visiting. I'm so sorry for your loss my friend!
Love and Light!
Julie
Rose, I am sorry you had to make that choice, but I am glad you made it. I've had to make that decision several times. I'll have to make it again, when its little Gingers time. Ending pain is not a bad thing, and it's wise to recognize when the pain would be too much. My folks have a dog named Skeeter. She's been my friend since I was 10 (a lot of good things happened for me that year lol). She's 14 now, a very long life for her. She's had stomach cancer before, and had it removed. She's weak, doesn't see very well, and her arthritis gets so bad sometimes she can't stand up. That's an example of people that refuse to make the right decision for their companion animals. I am frustrated, because my folks will not make that decision.

That being said, I am all the prouder, and all the more grateful, that you did make that decision. *Hugs* you know your pagan family is here for you, whenever you need us.
Hugs and love Rose. I am so sorry for your loss. The pain can be unbearable but like the others have said, you wanted him to be well, and you did help him, in the only way you could. I am quite certain that he loves you very much and doesn't want you to feel guilty. He misses you too but you will meet again!!!!
I do understand your anguish. I went through this with a familiar and his brother. He finally had to be put down. It was very hard. Very hard. But the Vet and I spoke and the philosophy of the Vet was one I could really get behind, once I thought about it.

"if they are no longer enjoying life. If they have more bad days than good. If their quality of life is so poor, if they are in constant pain and anguish and you have the means to end that suffering..."

And so I built an altar for them, with a bit of hair for an electromagnetic anchor. And when they told me I had found another suitable replacement, I got him. Actually her, in this case.
Ask Bear how he feels about it. That's my advice. I think you'll find he still loves and adores you with all his might...

Hugs you need? Then hugs you shall have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my Dear friend Rose, I all to well know what you are going through sweetie. But know you did the right thing sweetheart. My daughter just looked at the Picture and said your Bear was a Keynesian Hound, these are very loyal Dogs, furry with a very thick under coat, oh so hard to groom at times lol, but they love their Owners and are very loyal to them. I had 2 of these dogs years ago and Tara had a similar problem that your Bear had and Max had bad Hips, but they both lived long and good lives.

It does get to a point that it is in the best interest of your beloved pet like it was with Tara and Max that they needed to be put down. Now this was before I lost my sight, so I can tell you with the look in their eyes, it seemed as if they were asking me to please help them. I took them to vet when I felt it right (both on different dates) and the Doctor said nothing else was to be done for them. I cried like a baby each time I had to take each into the Vet to have them put down.

I too felt guilty and beat myself up over it, but I knew they were no longer in pain and had to suffer sweetie. I still feel at times they are with me as my Jessie who was my Boxer that was Killed. I will go and light one of my Healing Spirit Candles for you in hopes to bring you a little peace of this Rose. Please just note that you do the right thing and your Baby Bear will be with you in memory always and will visit with you, this much I know, my babies still do.

Love, Peace and Blessings with Big Hugs my Friend,
~Tea~
i know the feeling, but i assure you he would have just gotten worse. my last dog had a back problem and we were told we needed to put him to seep. we really didn't want to, he was such a sweet dog, but it got to the point where he was always crying and he had this look in his eye like "please help me"

it was tough, but sometimes it has to be done.
sorry to hear of your sad loss ,he looks a beautiful dog ,but if he had brain tumours it wasnt good to carry on for him poor thing .Im sure he will visit you now and again specially when you cook bacon cos he sounds like he loved that .(((hugs))) xxx
see responses....

I put Bear to sleep yesterday
====this is a hard decision, to be sure. The fact that you feel bad about it proves that you are a decent person.

and I've been beating myself up ever since.
====nothing to say here.

He was getting progressively worse and they thought he had a brain tumor. He wasn't enjoying life anymore. I couldn't really do anything else for him,
===in simple English, putting him down was the single greatest act of love that you could perform for him.

but I can't help feeling like I betrayed him. This is the first time I've ever had to put a pet to sleep.
====wouldn't it have been a greater betrayal if you let him suffer for months or years to avoid finally facing this day? That would have been selfish and needlessly cruel.

Paganism isn't all about light and life. It is about love, and, sometimes, love requires hard actions and hard decisions. You did great.
I've had to put a beloved cat to sleep, too. It was the hardest thing to do at the time, even though I knew I was ending his suffering (he had a lung tumor). It's gets easier every day. Although you feel bad now, I'm sure in time you will be glad you helped him. I, for one, am glad you were there for Bear when he needed you.
weve put two down and it was the hardest thing we have ever done.. but my angel comes to visit me every samhan.. all you have to do is call him or her.

i had a beautiful moment where i actually felt her push her head against my thigh like when she was alive.(germansheppard boxer mix)

i hope you furbaby is looking at you on the raindbows bridge.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service