I put Bear to sleep yesterday and I've been beating myself up ever since. He was getting progressively worse and they thought he had a brain tumor. He wasn't enjoying life anymore. I couldn't really do anything else for him, but I can't help feeling like I betrayed him. This is the first time I've ever had to put a pet to sleep.

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are welcome. I thought this might help a little more.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

Authors, Steve and Diane Bodofsky
You gave him peace and love, and thats what animals want from us. I'm facing the same situation. My big puppy has lymphoma, and wouldn't eat or drink for 4 days. Vomiting and blood and everything, it was horrible. We gave him til the end of the weekend to turn around, or we were going to take him to the vets Monday to put him down. He turned around and has been almost like his old self in the months since, except being a little more frail and 30lbs lighter (his lowest weight was 87lbs from 120lbs, but now he's back up to 95). But the vet told us he probably wont live longer than 6 months. I believe prayer got him to turn around, and he will live as long as he's meant to, but I will not let him die in pain. You did the right thing. It's hard, but you did.
Hey,

I know how you feel. I had to put my soulmate Obie down seven long months ago. He was my best friend, but unfortunately got intestinal cancer, it spread suddenly, literally over one weekend, and i had to take him in on the Monday to end it all. I know how you feel, I felt so guilty for weeks, wishing I could have done more to help him, wishing there was some way I could have saved him. It will get better, I promise :)
xxx
Rose, you very much did the right thing. Bear was suffering and in pain. That is no life for any of the Goddesses creatures to have to live. By helping him cross over, you have helped him get to a new life that is pain free.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
I had a Siamese cat named Duchess that latched onto me when I was in the 3rd grade, ever since she opened her eyes and saw me. She was with me during my dad's alcoholism, the tail-end of my parents divorce, and all the persecution I endured at school. She was the sweetest cat in the world.

She waited for me to come home one night this last January. I knew she was slipping away, when she hardly responded to me. My mom and I took her to the emergency pet center and stayed there for hours. It turns out she got a blood clot in her pelvis and was half-paralyzed. She couldn't breathe. I made the decision to put her down. The treatment that might fix her was a 50-50 shot and I couldn't watch her suffer over something that the vet said probably wouldn't work. And one of my friends said I was cruel for doing that and that I just killed her unjustly. But it was the right thing to do. I stayed with her til the end. And I stopped talking to that "friend".

You did the right thing. It is hard, but I believe he is happy now. Don't feel bad. Animals are a blessing from the goddess, and he is happier now. He sounds like a wonderful dog. BB.
Rose sweetie as the people said before me you did the right thing hun he is in a better place now and having fun. How do you think i felt a year ago Watching my Simba die right in front of my eyes, I balled like a baby because my cat my "favorite" cat dyed in front of me and like my mother took a piece of me with him. the pain is still there but i have my memorys of him and how he loved me and tolrated the kids and Eric. He was my cat like Bear was your Dog not steves. you will always love him and remember the times when he came to you for food or McDonalds french fries. Just Remember love.

I love you bunches Rose and always will hun

Many Huggs and Kisses comin your way

Love Joy

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service