This is mostly an answer for Xoc but it's an interesting topic for folks to fire away on.  So here ya go:

You know this is OT of the blog but this has come up recently in my life and studies. So I am wondering about your opinions sense you've got better sources than me. Do you believe this event could happen in the near future?  If it does happen how so? What are your thoughts about it?

Is it possible?  Absolutely.  That said, I think we would notice a Fimblewinter.  Lots of apocalypse watchers have noted that a Nuclear War with clouds covering the entire world would fit that bill.  Ecological collapse might also do the trick. 

But I don’t lose any sleep at night about it.  Nor would it do any good.  My focus is the here and now.  The point of much of the religion is IMHO to make the world a better place for now.  And not worry about the afterlife or any hypothetical scenario.  I should prepare for now and in doing so I will be ready for whatever comes. 

As far as personal heresies, I believe that a more personal Ragnorok is much more likely in my life.  I also believe that Ragnorok is cyclical: worlds end and then begin.  (Of course ANY Ragnorok in ones life will assuredly leave little left but smoking ruins of the old situation and clearly would not exactly be a fun time.)  

Do you think this event can take place over a period of years rather than in a single span because it deals with gods?

The lore seems to suggest a process so, sure, that would be likely. 

When the gods "die" they merely go to Hel right?

*lol* I’ll tell you when I get there.  That is the case for Balder but I doubt that things are that simple.

So they still exist in some form and may have the possibility of returning someday?

Yes, but that possibility could be via their sons and daughters of the Gods picking up the mantle and tools of their parents.  The Gods are mortal and can clearly die.  Little else is clear. 

Do you believe the prophecy has a lot of metaphors because the seer(s) who wrote it down were unable to tell the technology of the future and how to describe it? If this happens, what does this mean for Asatru? Would you still honor the old gods? (After all I have a god or two is dead lol.)

Ask me after Ragnarok.  Some do think that we live post-Ragnarok world right now.  But that would not be me.  I do still honor Balder, despite his dead-status, if that's any indication. 

I'm sorry to bombard you, I've been giving this a lot of thought. :)

I hope my answers illuminate, are useful and that I am not trying to be obtuse.  I really can’t say on many issues here as it’s just not the religious focus I have.  My answers are mostly the same type of answers I have as with Death and the Afterlife: I’ll have to see when I get there but that's not from any lack of thought as much as lack of hard evidence. 

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a lot I think could be added because I am curious to see a few peoples' views since the subject is a controversial if not hot one.

I too believe in destruction cycles that lead to creation.

The text mentions a high one who rules everything? Do you believe this is little more than a Christian insert or may have some meaning?

One thing about ragnarok I am unsure of.. which is how much will take place in this world or effect it and how much takes place in the gods' worlds?

The text mentions a high one who rules everything? Do you believe this is little more than a Christian insert or may have some meaning?

Well, all of Snorri is well Christian influenced.  The Voluspa much less so.  The upshot is that that's not a good marker or indicator.  We could debate the amount of that influence but it's there.  Frankly, Balder is clearly a proto-Christian myth, anyway, IMHO. 

My take is that, in the Voluspa, the end is written immediately from creation.  That the Norns appear immediately once that ball starts rolling.  I believe that the Norns could be agents, representative or specifically are that force but you might as well call it Natural Consequences (or the Big Crunch/Bang).  It has no sentience or interest in anything but of accounting all the equations of life and making them zero out.  Everything that lives, dies and it's what one does with ones life that matters. 

One thing about ragnarok I am unsure of.. which is how much will take place in this world or effect it and how much takes place in the gods' worlds?

And what a fine question that is...  I wish I could expound meaningfully on it.  It seems unlikely that the Gods would watch from Asgard and Vanaheim and go "Gee, that sucks."  Nor would it seem likely that the Giants would just be satisfied to trash merely this small corner of the universe known as Midgard.  

Yeah, it seemed when I read the excerpts the it implies the battles take place in multiple places, but it never really says so. I would assume based on what I read that this prophecy has little to do with human kind as a whole, more so a god issue. But it will definitely dramatically effect this world, I don't doubt that. However, I believe that sense the worlds' times don't synch together and that it takes place in a bunch of worlds that this thing will probably occur over a long span of human/midgar time. What we call "long" the gods would probably not see it as so.

"I would assume based on what I read that this prophecy has little to do with human kind as a whole, more so a god issue."

Agreed.  Surt burns Midgard and everything here to the ground.  But that's a side-show from the main thrust of the myth.  Even if that show ends everything here... 

"However, I believe that sense the worlds' times don't synch together and that it takes place in a bunch of worlds that this thing will probably occur over a long span of human/midgar time. What we call "long" the gods would probably not see it as so."

Well, the whole Axe Time, Sword Time, brother kills brother and long winters things do suggest that it's not on a quick schedule.  But you also have to think about things as not just bad but literally Medieval: we are talking about much, much worse then the status quo of a near-lawless tribal turmoil of a 800 CE Iceland, when this stuff was written. 

I've heard it said that we are 3 meals away from Anarchy but I think things would have to require something pretty huge to get an even worse then that point. 

If it does occur here do you think it will more like effect the areas of Europe the gods are from?

I've heard it said that we are 3 meals away from Anarchy but I think things would have to require something pretty huge to get an even worse then that point.

I don't think we're even close to the "worst" it could be.

"If it does occur here do you think it will more like effect the areas of Europe the gods are from?"

Naw, global is global.  Clearly since us believers have gotten around, no reason why the Giants wouldn't as well.  Cosmologically speaking the entire planet is pretty small... 

The Profecy of Nanna

l. Allfather prepares, alfs discern the way,a wise Van knows, while wise Hoenir awaits;
norns point the way, new aeons give birth,thurses and jotuns wait, as valkyries for war.

2. The Aesir shall suffer, their fates known to all,but their seerers mistake, the young fruit-maid's runes;
her fate Holde guards, a fate long hidden,from the Great-Host, from her brother.

3. I was given a gift, I who am of grief-death
was by Odhinn given, wolf-guise in Helja's hall;
I changed disposition, confused with illusion,
I altered appearance, sorrow I know. Know still more?

4. Hugin shall soar high, to seek out the fruit-maid,
the Aesir are anxious, for the young one's return;
to the longing-for-life, to dream is to suffer,
dim dreams surfeit those, who death longs for, or Holds.

5. Svartalfs shall grow numb, shall fail their powers,
the Wyrm will eat itself, as Ginnungagap wanes;
the Allwise fells often, and they rise in the morn,
again he reasembles, the fallen fighting always.

6. No longer shall stand fast, not the earth or the sun,
the stream of destruction, shall stay no more aloft;
Hidden deep in Mim's well, Holde holds what she has,
silence awaits answer, sorrow I know. Know still more?

7. The young'one shall dwell, years at Helgard's root,
she will fall from the yew, will fall down Yggdrasil;
men call her Idunna, fruit-maid to wise one's,
the Goddess of youth, golden apple giver.

8. Unhappy she shall seem, she shall learn her true fate,
under the lofty tree, under the root comes fate;
she will be fast with fear, when Holde comes to her,
fate finds as Holde holds, fate finds death to often.

9. Odhinn shall select Ase, to ask Nanna, myself,
the fate Idunna, of the dead Worlds of men,
of fate, and Ragnarok; forward shall come Heimdallr,
with Bragi and Loki, sorrow I know. Know still more?

10. Naught shall I say, naught will I utter
in responce to Bright-One, in responce to them all;
my tears shall fall fast, grief from my brain-shields,
my powers shall be numbed, my powers exhausted.

ll. The fated one shall then, come forward from her death,
Jorun she will be then, Hoenir's silent partner;
the more they ask her, the less she shall speak,
all words will flow in vain, words will be as silence.

12. Formost will be Heimdallr, the watcher of the horn,
bringing with him Loki, Bragi shall stand outside;
her time will come to pass, her time will come as death,
I too shall hear nothing, sorrow I know. Know still more?

l3. Odhinn's warriors, will attain to the wine-hall,
brought to the palace, by the sons of the past;
shall enter Ygg's heroes, to salute the Aesir,
this is the final feasting, of the einherjars's mead.

14. They will wish Odhinn health, and wish him contentment,
with well-being ever, to brew his ale for feast;
the drinkers are blissful, to joy at the tankard,
within Odhinn's high hall, will be the fated ones.

15. At the feast the Gods will, ask of Heimdallr the fate,
and the Goddesses shall, ask of Loki the fate;
until darkness shall fall, until the fate is told,
they too shall hear nothing, sorrow I know. Know still more?

16. Ill they shall think resolved, this matter of silence,
cunning they will need, to call her utterance;
an answer she'll not give, as the cock crows loudly,
as the wolf is set free, the sound of Wyrd, her voice.

17. Odhinn shall speak then, all shall hear him say:
"this night shall be used, for new thought for counsel;
each one who can, each by the morrow,
find some solution, for the Aesir's weal."

18. At the mountains rim, round the wintry earth
the offspring of Fenris, will fall ending an age;
the Gods will leave the feast, giving praise to Odhinn,
and to the fated Frigg that night, sorrow I know. Know still more?

19. Will wane then Odhinn's hall, hands will grow numb with fate,
the white sword-Ase shall, then sound his great horn;
unconsciousness reigns, on the midnight breath,
thought fails in tired beings, Frigg shall find her fate.

20. Waning Ginnungagap, was the last of the Wyrm,
warding Thorr with Mjollnir, burst assunder the Wyrm;
the branches of Yggdrasil, to be filled with once more,
Odhinn, Frigg and Thorr trade, with Hodh, Baldr and I.

21. At the nourishing earth's, afar northern horse-door,
'neath the noble yew-tree, near the farthest dark root,
will have gone to their lairs, hags, alfs and the like,
later to return home, sorrow I know. Know still more?

22. Heimdallr shall spring once more, shining upon Bifrost,
on Itha-plain will be built, a hall of shining gold;
Gimli will it be called, and from there will Hoenir,
and will Jorun speak, freely as I fathom.

RSS

Latest Activity

Matt Raney is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Monday
Morning Star is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 12
Jamie Gunter liked Jamie Gunter's profile
Oct 11
Hal Spencer Briggs III is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 10
Dena Vogel updated their profile
Oct 4
Sojahu BaVitki posted a status
"are they going to charge for this one too?"
Oct 4
Albert Feyen posted a status
"I'n checking out paganspacev2"
Oct 4
Profile IconAlbert Feyen and daniel graves joined PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 4

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service