So, I've been having trouble with this, especially lately, and I was wondering if y'all can help me. My main mythological interest is in the Greek pantheon, but in recent years, I've felt drawn to the Egyptian Isis, who I see more and more as the ultimate wife and mother. In so doing, I feel I'm betraying my other patron goddess Hera, especially since it's hard for me to feel drawn to her given her reputation as a jealous wife and mother/stepmother.

Can anyone help with this dilemma? Is anyone a devoted follower of Hers that can offer me insights into Her true nature?

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to Wikipedia, in the Iliad, Hera is referred to as 'cow-eyed' which relates her to the older goddesses, like Egypt's Hathor who is also a goddess of cattle.  As we all know, some of the more ancient religions were centered around cattle/bull worship, so I imagine she's a very old goddess.  She was there first.  When the male gods started to move into the areas where she was worshipped, they "married" her to the thunder god so her worship could continue without her position being usurped.

Hera is the goddess of marriage.  I don't see her as a "mother" goddess.  She is an ancient goddess in the same vein as Cybele.  Cybele is known famously as the "Magna Mater".  She was worshipped as the Great Mother goddess, her priests were eunuchs.  It seems odd that a goddess worshipped as the ultimate mother had no children and her male priests were infertile.

Hera is similar in that she is the goddess of marriage and women but disassociated from children and motherly attributes.  She is a Queen, the daughter of Titans and culturally like many queens from her time, children were raised by other people.

I am not married, so I don't worship Hera/Juno but last I recall, she has good reason to be jealous.

But as the goddess of marriage, shouldn't she be?  Marriage to her is sacred.  Of course she would be wrathful to those who violated the sacred bonds of marriage by philandering.

Zeus was scared of her, he was unable to stop her wrath, so he would have to sneak around to his lovers, hide them, try to protect the children born of such unions (which are a threat to the status of a married woman's children so again, Hera would have no love for them because that's her nature).

It's not like the goddess of marriage could ever divorce her husband, right?

So if you're looking for motherly care and interest, I'd go with Isis.  As long as you continue to honor marriage, I don't see that you would have a problem with Hera/Juno.

Its believed that Hera is an anagram of Rhea, so you're worshiping a divine mother, she has just been demoted from her true identity. There is a Chair in the Throne room, on Crete at Knossos, and the symbols for Hera are the Peacock and the Lion, and they appear on the wall behind the Throne as a Griffin.

The chair, has a carved design on the front, which looks like the sun rising over a double-peaked mountain (like Mt. Juktas and other sacred mountains on Crete). It also looks like the view out of a cave mouth (Rhea's cave). And it looks like a baby's head crowning between the mother's legs at the moment of birth.

I found the double peaked mountain odd in this setting, but if we see the mountain not as the face of Zeus on Mt. Juktas with an open maw, but as Cronus, then the baby’s head crowning between the mother's legs (Rhea) at the moment of birth, only to be swallowed by Cronus in order to postpone being overthrown by Zeus, then the chair would be a physical representation of a myth.

In fact, some sources say he was originally an aspect of Rhea herself - in some places she is called Rhea Cronia (Mother Time, essentially). Cronos is the embodiment of time itself, and it would make total sense for him to want to devour the year-king Dionysus, because that's what happens to the year...time eats it, as we see in so many mythic cycles (the Oak and Holly Kings, the Old Year and Baby New Year, and so on)

Your Patron has a much more older heritage than you might think.

Hera is an anagram of Rhea only in English, not in Greek. Kronos, the king of the Titanes and husband of Rhea, is also different from Khronos, the elder god of time.

I too considered that Hera is an anagram of Rhea only in English, but I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the person who suggested it.

Interesting difference in mythology. Khronos was depicted in Greco-Roman mosaic as Aion (Aeon), eternity personified. He holds a wheel inscribed with the signs of the zodiac and Gaia (Mother Earth) usually reclines at his feet. The poet Nonnus describes Aion as an old man with long, white hair and a beard but mosaic-art presents a youthful figure.

This Roman Mosaic is also used for Cronus, as well Ouranos. Ouranos is the first male god, so he is represented as a young man and also as an old man, he is immortal, ancient with time.

Thank you very useful, I will have to tell this friend of mine, and to see what she makes of it

Just because Hera is your patron goddess does not mean that you can not be drawn to other deities at certain points in your life or in certain circumstances. No one deity is perfect for every occasion, they all have lessons to teach us.

According to some ancient Greeks, the gods they actually worshiped and their mythos are not the same.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service