Times are hard for some people and good paying work is getting harder to find.

I've read historical accounts of indebted servitude and county run systems that were more or less minor officials sanctioned slavery. 

It got me to thinking, what if slavery was a voluntary thing?

Regulated by government, all parties signed documents and things like eating allowances, accommodations, health care had to be taken care of by the master.

Would people who were destitute go for it?

To outside observers a lot of seemingly weird relationships exist now.

If slavery were reintroduced, on a voluntary basis:

Would you keep slaves?

What would you keep them for if you did keep slaves? Status? Field work? Other things?

Would it suit society that once a person was a slave they would always be a slave, or would freedom come at some point?

would the buying and selling of slaves be allowable?

What of the off spring of slaves? Would they automatically belong to the master, or would those children be considered free until they reached their age of majority and then have to decide if they wished to join the masters household?

Would you become a slave? What would be the benefit you'd see in being one?

What laws would satisfy you that the rights of slaves were protected?

Would slaves even have rights, to vote, own weapons, pursuit of happiness etc.?

In an awful lot of pagan cultures slavery was instrumental to the function of the society.

How slaves were treated speaks volumes about the people that society produced.

What are some opinions you have regarding paganism and slavery? Is the system too outdated and too morally reprehensible to contemplate?

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I could see it being reintroduced on an indentured servitude level, yes, and I think a lot of people would actually go for it. In some ways it would actually be better for the truly poor. Provided their were standards and regulations about caring for slaves. For instance, in the middle ages land owners who had people working their land were responsible for providing some basic level of care to those people. I believe the same was true in the case of slavery (though maybe not everywhere). You had to care for your slaves as if they were some lower level of family almost. Which makes sense if you think about productivity alone, but also the issue of humanity.

This would be a dangerous move though, because slavery presents a slippery slope for morality. Things could go horribly wrong. Take for instance the study in which a group of college students ran a mock prison. Those who played the guards were easily overwhelmed by a sense of power over those who played the inmates and things got pretty sketchy. When they switched the groups (so prisoners became guards and guards played prisoners), the same thing happened all over again. In fact, it was almost worse. And this was with all of the participants knowing full well that the whole thing was fake. Human nature can get pretty dark and scary.

Personally, if I felt I could care for them well I wouldn't necessarily mind the idea of having slaves. Mainly because I trust myself to resist some of the corruption of power and to focus on responsibility. Likewise, I would trust myself to slavery if I found a master with a strong sense of duty and morality. Still, it's a scary thought, because we could still lose ourselves in the process.

If slavery were reintroduced, on a voluntary basis:

Would you keep slaves?

No.  How pretentious is it to have a 'slave' to do all the stuff you are too lazy to do?  I mean seriously?

If I were a billionaire  I'd still clean my own house, I would have no need for a 'maid' or 'butler', and who ever said 'Slavery' was completely abolished?  Sure, they are paid, but a paid slave is still  a slave.  

Sorry. I simply find the concept appalling.
However, I imagine that if the concept was 'sold' to people they would do it.
This topic gives me a horrible feeling

I loved that movie when I was a kid!

Haven't seen it in years, and the play is even better? You bet I'll look for it.

One way of looking at this is that most of us are already subject to slavery of a sort, many people today are debt slaves.  Many people work at less than ideal jobs (sheer drudgery) just to keep their utilities turned on and have a roof over their heads with little more than that available to them from the wages they are able to draw. 

Ask yourselves how difficult it is to start a business and make it past the first year because the government does not allow you to deduct start up costs as expences.  Ask yourselves if you are able to build your own house without a government overseer vetting your every move right down to OKing the edifice for how many rooms it will have to accommodate how many children of what sex are slated to stay in each room.

The ways and means  of getting ways and means in life seem to be slanted toward those who already have  and almost flat adversarial toward those who are trying to follow their dreams and better the quality of life for themselves and families from the ground up.  It seems the system that is in place is geared toward keeping the majority of people working for someone else, usually a corporation, for what amounts to a pittance since the average person is not able to save much money and what is put by all seems to end up going back out toward maintaining necessary transportation and medical bills, things like that.

I'm of the opinion that if one is working a treadmill, not because one wants to do so but because one must, it might as well be called slavery or maybe a modern form of nouveau-feudalism, since most of the time we only have the illusion of living where we choose.  So many people don't even allow their imaginations to explore what they would really like to be, do, have. 

The economic system is set up so that there is always a permanent under-class of cheap labor and if that class rises as a whole, the masters of commerce/industry just get cheap labor from somewhere else or ship the whole job somewhere else so the status que remains more or less stable.  If too many people are getting educated, tuition rises to the point that one would have to work at least a third of one's working  life to pay off the debt and today, many college grads live in conditions that yesterday's factory workers would balk at because starting wages in their fields (if they can even find a position) are so low that ramen noodles with or without a veggie/egg on top is the sum of their menu and owning a warm winter coat is a matter of careful planning for the future, and that is whether they owe on student loans or not.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe we live in a state of defacto slavery. 

I don't think it has any direct relationship to paganism.  I don't see pagans as a group as being any more or less likely to have slaves than any other modern person.  What I do think, sad as it is to contemplate, is that slavery has always been around in one form or another.

Very interesting insights. I'd be hard pressed to find any fault with your logic.

In fact I'm inclined to agree.

^This^ x 1000

gotta serve somebody .... Bob Dylan...

RSS

Latest Activity

Matt Raney is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
yesterday
Morning Star is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Saturday
Jamie Gunter liked Jamie Gunter's profile
Friday
Hal Spencer Briggs III is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Thursday
Dena Vogel updated their profile
Oct 4
Sojahu BaVitki posted a status
"are they going to charge for this one too?"
Oct 4
Albert Feyen posted a status
"I'n checking out paganspacev2"
Oct 4
Profile IconAlbert Feyen and daniel graves joined PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 4

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service