The concept of an inescapable fate was deeply inbedded in the whole of Norse mythology, for the myths told of a future catastrophe, Ragnarok, in which gods and mankind would be entirely destroyed. Although it lay in the future, its every detail was described as though it had already taken place. The Norse people imagined the creation of the world, its cosmology, and its inevidable final destruction, as a single unit in a continuing cycle of creations, each of which ending in an apocalypse before the world was renewed. Humans fitted into this cosmic scheme as one of several types of beings, each group contributing to the life of the others. But although they cohabitated with the gods, dwarves, animals and giants, people were unable to influence fate and change the course of events. The end of the world was inherent in its very beginning: its doom was conceived even as the shape and form of the world was revealed.
Life began in the fusion of two elemental extremes, fire and ice, and was doomed to end when flames and water would once again engulf all that had been engendered. A chain of episodes, expedited by the rancorous Loki, was to end in a final confrontation in which the forces of chaos and evil would be pitted against the gods, and each side would destroy the other in the dramatic finale known as Ragnarok. But like the ancient whirling wheel, (a symbol often found on Viking picture stones) the cycle would turn again.
The catastrophe was to be triggered by the death of Balder, son of Odin and Frigg, who was considered the purest of the gods and the most popular among them. Yet he was destined to return to life afterwards and preside over a newly-created, more peaceful world. For, having purged the earth of evil, Ragnorok would lead to the regeneration of life: the earth would reappear from the waters of chaos, washed clean and made anew.
Yggdrasill, the ash tree that was guardian and protector of the universe and absorber of its stresses and woes, was foreordained to remain standing throughout the onslaught of the final battle. In its eternal branches it sheltered a man and a woman - Lif and Lifthrasir - who would become the first of a new generation of humans, destined to people the earth again.

Views: 86

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed the cycle of creation and destruction back to Creation again is true.

When I was still xtian, I thought about Ragnarok thinking, "Is that how Genesis began?"

Some rare controversial interpretations of the beginning of the Book of Genesis say that the Earth was not only formless and void, but that it was actually laid to waste, which seems to describe that the Earth was once inhabited before.

The One Question I have, though, is did the cycle itself have a beginning? and Whether it did begin or not, does it have an end?!
The cycle is infinate & eternal,therefore there is no creation-as it were, but a manifestation & evolution of life.This of course is only my belief, although it explains alot ,it, as every belief, does not account for every question of mankind and how and when life began."Space and time", being void? No, not so completely: Knowing there is space beyond our universe, even so there may also be other life. But as complicated as it can get lets just start with the life manifestation in our universe.There is non-life matter, and also non-living energies.As far-fetched as it seems this has always been..The right conditions of non-living energy, (example: fire & ice) along with non-living matter merged and manifested into life as we know it. This then would have an existance of matter with energy life. Energy must be placed or displaced, and is continuous. So when our physical world or bodies are destroyed or essentially die, the energies are displaced until they are "reborn", or are able to find another "host" to contain them....This all being connected is infinate...well, like i said its an opinion of mine and it may or may not make sense to you ....Goddess Bless !
I beleive that the actions of Odin and his two brothers in the death of Ymir tied them tightly into the weave of fate.  It is just like the hero, no matter how hard he tries, how hard he fights it, the enemy will always look for him, always draw him out.  Odin and the Aesir and Vanir stood for a definative purpose, that being the beating back of the elements of Chaos.  The Gods and Goddesses, like the hero, eventually become overwelmed by the elements of chaos and fall.  But the truth stays the same.  In every battle, in every conflict, there are survivors, the children of the Gods survive and Baldur returns.  The cycle will continue and the fight against chaos will continue as well.

RSS

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service