Making your own laundry detergent is simple and economical. It is also a great way to give your family an extra protection boost. This is part of a workshop that Jeff and I have moderated. You can have the whole family help it is amazingly fast to make. AND you are working with soap, so clean up is a snap!

Before beginning, give yourself a moment to prepare for the ritual. Think about your intent and what you are hoping to achieve for your family.

You will need:
1 quart water
1 – 2 bars of soap (the original called for 1 bar, I prefer 2)
1 cup washing soda
½ cup borax
5 gallon bucket
3 gallons hot tap water
(Optional) essential oil – (ex. sweet orange, lemon, tea tree, eucalyptus or lavender)

Grate soap and add to a quart of water heated to almost boiling. Turn off the stove and stir until melted.
In a 5 gallon bucket place 3 gallons of hot tap water. Add the hot soapy water.
Stir well. Add washing soda. Stir well. Add borax. Essential oil can be added at this time.
As you mix all the ingredients, imagine a glowing white light entering into the hot water slowly building as you grate the soap. Imagine it spreading to the bucket as you add the ingredients. As you stir the mixture focus on the energy you wish to be contained in your soap, loving protective energy. You can add a chant while you focus your energy.
When you are done imagine that all that protection is stored in the bucket, waiting to be used on the next washing day.
Let sit overnight. Stir in the morning if necessary and on use.
Use 1 cup per wash load. Makes approx 48 cups.

Sometimes this gels wonderfully, other times it doesn't. I can't quite figure that out. So if anyone tests it enough to know, please let me know. I tend to not be good about exact ingredients. It is important to add the ingredients in the right order and to stir well in between. I actually think it has something to do with humidity and temperature.

The essential oils you choose can also help focus your intent. Here are a few of my favorites:
Eucalyptus – Antiseptic, deodorant. Kills dust mites.
Tea Tree – Antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antiviral.
Chamomile - Antiseptic, analgesic, antifungal, antibacterial. Calming.
Lavender - Calming, balancing, love, sleep, dreams.
Sweet Orange – Mood enhancing.
Rosemary – Mental clarity, cleansing.
Patchouli – Anxiety, calming.

People always ask about borax and washing soda. These can be found in the laundry aisle of the grocery store and are easy to obtain.
Borax boosts cleaning power of soap, kills mold and bacteria (keep out of the reach of children and pets.)
Washing Soda boosts cleaning power of soap, cuts grease, disinfects, water softener.

Namaste.

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

We use our own homemade soap. Actually if you have a batch that is botched, a bit too hot or high PH, you can still use it for laundry detergent. I use two bars of mine, so I would say 6-8 ounces.
I'll have to try this out! Is it okay for sensitive skin? I have wee ones and my husband reacts to a lot of the commercial detergents out there.

Thanks for posting this recipe/protection ritual!

Blessings,
Lua
Yes, it is good for sensitive skin. From what I understand you can use most any soap. Hint, if you use green soap, like Irish spring, I will be green laundry detergent.
I don't add essential oils to mine because Jeff is VERY sensitive and he has no problems.
For those interested I have created a soap making group:

http://www.paganspace.net/group/pagansoapmaking

As well as the Thrifty Pagan Corner:
http://www.paganspace.net/group/thethriftypagancorner

I'd like to invite anyone interested in our discussions to also please join.

Blessings!
I made your laundry soap today..it works wonderfully, thanks for sharing the recipe with us!!! Tomorrow, we are going to my brother and sister's house and make a batch for them. How incredibly green, inexpensive....different every time using a variety of oils.

RSS

Latest Activity

Matt Raney is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Monday
Morning Star is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Saturday
Jamie Gunter liked Jamie Gunter's profile
Friday
Hal Spencer Briggs III is now a member of PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Thursday
Dena Vogel updated their profile
Oct 4
Sojahu BaVitki posted a status
"are they going to charge for this one too?"
Oct 4
Albert Feyen posted a status
"I'n checking out paganspacev2"
Oct 4
Profile IconAlbert Feyen and daniel graves joined PaganSpace.net The Social Network for the Occult Community
Oct 4

© 2019 PaganSpace.net       Powered by

Badges | Privacy Policy  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service